Summary: The longer I live for Jesus the more homesick for heaven I get.
LUKE 15:11-24 “I JUST WANT TO GO HOME”
A) Preachers always use this text to preach to backsliders or to the lost!
* I would like to take a different approach to this today and preach to those that have been saved
by God’s grace!
* As we look into this passage, we see a young man with many problems in his life!
B) Certainly there were doubts and fears about today and about the future!
* He faced regrets concerning his past and he found out that a person does reap what he sows!
* Our story gives us a young man who is a member of the family, but he is one who has strayed
away! * As a result, he finds himself in the midst of great difficulty and trouble!
* He sinks about as low as any person could go and then reaches a place where he experiences a
turning place in his life! * v.17 tells us that, “he came to himself.”
C) Apparently, this young man had been the victim of temporary insanity!
* By the way, that’s what backsliding is! * He came to himself and remembered how well he had
things back at the Father’s house! * He knew if he could just get home, things would be better!
D) Now I don’t want to spiritualize this thing too much this morning, but I do want you to know,
that sometimes, I feel like the prodigal son!
* Not in the sense that I have walked out on the Father … I just feel like I want to go home!
* I often find myself longing to be at the Father’s house, in His glorious presence!
* I’m sure you feel that way too from time to time! * If so, then I’ve got good news for you!
* One day all of God’s children are going home! * When we get there, we’ll find it better ... here!
E ) With that thought in mind, I’d like to preach on this thought, “I Just Want To Go Home!”
* I want to show you from these verses that when we get home, things will change!
* I want to encourage you today and remind you that it’s gonna be better when we get home!
(1) WHEN WE GET HOME, SOME THINGS WILL BE BEHIND US! * v.11-17
* When we get home, there will be some things that we will not have to deal with any longer!
A) There Will Be No More Sin – v.11-13! * The prodigal wandered away into a life of rebellion!
* How many times have you and I done the same thing?
* We had every intention of living for the Lord and doing well for His glory, but temptation came,
we gave in and we fell into sin!
B) Thank God, the day is coming when sin will no longer be a problem for you and me!
* We are going to a land where there will be no sin! * 1 Cor. 6:9-10 “Know ye not that the
unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor
idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the …”
* Even this fleshly nature that gives us so much trouble down here, will be forever changed …….
* And we will no longer desire the things of life! * We’ll have all we need!
C) There Will Be No More Separation – v.13!
* The prodigal found himself separated from the father! * It turned out a miserable place to be!
* We are so blessed in that we have received glorious promises from the Savior!
* Matt.28:20 “I am with you …” * Heb.13:5 “I will never leave …”
D) John 14:16-18 He gives to us the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, He’ll not leave us comfortless!
* However, like it or not we are still separated from the presence of our Father Who is in Heaven! * There are still times when we fall into sin, and we lose our precious fellowship with Him!
* Isa. 59:2 “But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid
his face from you, that he will not hear.”
* Thank God there is a day coming when this will be no more!
* We will be perfect, we will be home, and we will be in His presence evermore!
E) There Will Be No More Straying – v.13!
* The prodigal took his leave of the father, and headed out to live a life of selfish, sinful living!
* That describes us most of the time! * We know what we ought to do, but we still don’t do it! * We know what we ought not to do, but do it anyhow!