Summary: This sermon describes 10 ways to know we are saved from the book of 1 John and why knowing this is so important (in light of 1 John 5:13).
What Do You Know?
I Know I’m Saved!
May 27, 2001
A. This morning I want to give you the most important "Pop Quiz" you will ever take:
1. If you were to die today and stand before God seated upon the great white throne of judgment, would He or would He not let you into heaven?
2. Why should He let you into heaven?
B. Those are the two most important questions that we will ever answer.
1. Because our answer to those two questions will determine our eternity.
2. And our answer to those two questions will determine how we live the rest of this life.
3. Now we have been over and over these two questions in the past three months—I hope you have some idea what you’re answers to those two questions are.
C. I hope that as a result of the past three months of sermons, you know that the only answer to the last question is: "I have accepted God’s grace!"
1. My friend, if you answered ANYTHING ELSE to that second question—then you’re probably NOT saved.
2. The Bible says there is no other answer to that question.
3. Good deeds don’t save us from hell.
4. Being a good person doesn’t saves us from hell.
5. Not even being baptized saves us from hell.
6. Those are good and important things, but they don’t save us.
7. The only answer as to why God should let us into heaven is because "I have accepted God’s grace."
8. God has done all the work.
9. Jesus has done all the work.
10. The HS has done all the work.
11. All we have to do is believe and accept it.
12. So if you answered anything else to that second question, then you’re probably NOT saved.
D. And as for the answer to the first question…
1. If you answered, "I KNOW that I will go to heaven!" then you got the right answer.
2. If you answered anything else, then you’re probably not saved.
3. If you answered, "I hope I would get into heaven." then you’re probably not saved.
4. If you answered, "I think I would get into heaven." then you’re probably not saved.
5. If you answered anything other than, "I KNOW I would get into heaven." then I think you need to do some more studying and get these answers straight before its two late and you are standing before the judgment seat of God and you don’t truly know the right answers then!
E. We have spent five weeks so far studying together the book of 1 John to answer the question: "What do you know?"
1. I know that Christ lives in me!
2. I know that I will make it through the end times!
3. I know that I am a child of God!
4. I know what love is!
5. I know the ways of God!
F. Today in our conclusion to the book of 1 John, we come to 5:13, I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
1. John says that he has written these things so that we can KNOW that we have eternal life.
2. Not "think so" or "hope so," but KNOW that we have eternal life.
3. Do you KNOW that you have eternal life?
4. Do you KNOW that you will go to heaven?
5. Well this morning I want to ask, "What things has John written in order that we may KNOW that we have eternal life?"