Summary: For This Time Of Tragedy In Our Nation
Title: I Know Who Holds Tomorrow
Text: Psalms 46:1&2
Intro: Many questions are being asked this week.
- What will happen to the world’s economy?
- Is this the beginning of the end?
- Is this WWIII?
- What about germ, gas, and nuclear war?
- Was this God’s judgment on this nation?
- Why did God allow this to happen?
When Rev. Billy Graham addressed the world he answered theses questions by saying “I don’t know, but I accept by faith that God is a God of love, mercy and compassion, even in times of suffering and darkness.”
Today we can stand and say with all assurance that:
- No matter what calamities may take place
- No matter what befalls this nation
- God has not abdicated His throne.
- He is in control
- He will bring about his perfect will upon
· This nation
· This people
· This His church.
May we look upon this as not necessarily Gods judgment upon this nation but that what Satan has meant for evil God will take and use for His Glory, as He sends out a three fold call for us to return to Him.
I. A Call To Remembrance
1. God is still God
a. He has not changed his name to:
- I Was
- I used To Be
- He is still “I AM”
· He is still alive
· He is still Blessing
· He is still Freeing
· He is still redeeming
· He is still God of Heaven and Earth
b. He has not lost one ounce of His power or strength
Deuteronomy 4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.
- The power displayed at creation is still available at His disposal
- The power displayed at the Red Sea is still available
- The power displayed by the Old Testament Prophets is still available
- The power displayed at Lazzarus Tomb is still available
- The power displayed at the upper room is still available
- The power displayed in the prison cell of Paul & Silas is still available
2. The people of this nation need God
a. This country was formed on the principles of God Almighty.
b. That God is the source of our strength
· Not our military might
· Not any coalitions or foreign policies
· It is God that has blessed this nation
c. God is our refuge and our strength
3. That it is God’s blessings on this nation that has made her the greatest country on this earth.
a. He has blessed her with protection for more than 200 years
b. He has blessed her with prosperity
c. He has blessed her with power
d. He has made this nation the desire of the whole world
- Not our Education system
- Not our own ingenuity
- Not our economy
- Not our military
- His blessings alone
Psalms 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
Psalms 118:9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
4. That God has taken care of this nation in the past.
- Revolutionary war
- War of 1812
- Civil War
- Gulf war
- Assassinations of leaders
- Cold War
- Natural Disasters
Hebrews 13:5: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
· He has always been there for us.
II. A Call To Repentance
1. As a nation we are being called to repentance
· Let us not forget that as a nation we have:
a. Trampled on the statutes of God
b. Shaken our fist in the face of God
c. Thrown Him from our governmental institutes
d. Driven Him from our public schools
e. Declared Him irrelevant to our modern lives
· It is time to put away our sins
f. We have murdered babies and called it choice
g. Defiled our bodies formed in His image with the perversion of homosexuality and called it an Alternative Lifestyle
h. We have filled our nation with every form of fleshly sin we could think of:
- Drug Abuse
· America it is time to heed the call of repentance
2. As the Church of Jesus Christ we are being called to repentance
1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God:
a. For to long the church has tried to make it’s self appealing to the world.
b. It has compromised the holiness of God until it is no longer recognizable as the Bride of Christ