Summary: Sermon about giving God your best and not your leftovers. Give that which is costly!
*Disclaimer- I apologize if I don’t have the correct citations, please contact me if I may have inadvertently quoted someone inappropriately. I give anyone anywhere full use of this sermon in any format for any application with or without citation of me. Its all God’s word. If it blesses you and you want to use it- please do. Would love an email (pastor (@) faithandvictory.com) or a facebook connect to let me know, but not required. If you’re a tired pastor having long week- preach this thing word for word with no citation. I don’t care. I just want to help other pastors.
That Which Costs Me Nothing
2 sam 24, recounts the census David undertakes and God's judgment for him doing it
People differ why God was angered by the census.
Whatever reason- the David the king does it and overreaches God as the true king of Israel
• David realizes that he has sinned and confesses it to God
• God uses this prophet Gad, tells David, 3 choices for your sin- 7 years of Famine, 3 months of running from your enemies, or 3 days plagues? V 13
• David chooses plague and v15 The Angel goes to work killing 70k of Israel
• The Killing stops, David realizes that he sinned, and then he proceeds to go and offer a sacrifice at the threshing floor of Araunah.
• There’s a few key verses I want to cover with you today
• Here’s the one that Sticks out to me- David goes to this Araunah Guy- and is going to do an offering to God and Araunah says “ Hey man, I’ve got some oxen, some threshing instruments, use mine for free, you don’t need to pay me for them”
• But David doesn’t want the free road- he doesn’t want to take the free stuff.
• David says- I’ll buy it from you. Why does he say this? “Nor will I offer burnt offerings to the Lord my God which cost me nothing”
• David has sinned. David has done God wrong. David wants to make it right- now in his mind, he says, if I’m going to offer something to God, its going to be costly
• Now lets not miss this here- I don’t want you to make a connection between this story and your sin and the means by which you have to work to get your forgiveness
• Have you ever seen an advertisement for a “Free gift” and then come to find out that you have to DO something to receive that free gift?
• One time I got a notice in the mail that said “Free vacation to vegas just call this number” I called and they said “you just have to sit down in this presentation- not a free gift- I have to DO something to get it
• Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
• Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.
• The Grace of God is FREE- Salvation is FREE you don’t do anything to earn it- you just believe in it
• People will say that there is “cheap grace” and honestly, I don’t know how else you could have it
• I want to show you a cool part about this story
• David is disobedient, David sins, David chooses the plagues.
• He chooses the plagues because he knows that Gods mercy will prevail over the mercy of his enemies.
• V 14 Do not let me fall into the hands of man
• V 16 And when the angel stretched out his hand over Jerusalem to destroy it, the Lord relented from the destruction, and said to the angle who was destroying the people “It is enough; now restrain your hand”
• In the midst of the destruction, BEFORE the sacrifice BEFORE David admitted his sin, the Lord had MERCY upon Israel
• Why? Its his nature to show mercy
• Deuteronomy 4:31 (for the Lord your God is a merciful God), He will not forsake you nor destroy you, nor forget the covenant of your fathers which He swore to them.
• Deuteronomy 7:9 “Therefore know that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him and keep His commandments;
• Psalm 25:10 All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth, To such as keep His covenant and His testimonies.
• David comes to God and says “Sure I have sinned, and I have done wickedly; but these sheep, whay have they done? Let your hand be against me and against my fathers house”