Summary: Part 1 of a five part series that will be preached. Series is aimed to encourage increased committment to a life mission.
Text: Eph. 2:2-10
Theme: I See Dead Men Walking
Ephes. 2:1-10 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;  Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:  Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.  But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,  Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)  And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:  That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:  Not of works, lest any man should boast.  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Today I want to begin a new series that I want to title “Is The Church Necessary?” Today when the term church is mentioned there is often varied responses. There are some who are almost embarrased to be associated with the church. There are people who will not share that they are Christians because of the redicule and often embsrrasing labels that come along with being a christian.
I have three primary purposes with this series:
1. I want to prove that the Church is the most important organisation in the earth today.
2. I want to give those of you who are Christians some added encouragement that you don’t have to be embarrassed but proud that you are a part of the Church.
3. For those of you who are more recent visitors to our fellowship, it will give you an inside look at the function of the universal church, how this local fellowship is expected to fit the big picture, and how you and I fit in this local fellowship.
Working backwards I want to make five points wihch will basically form the structure for all five messages in the series.
1. God has saved you and me for a specific purpose.
2. God expects for me to both find and fulfill that purpose in the context of a local church.
3. Though I am a part of a local fellowship, God has a purpose that is universal in it’s reach.
4. All the efforts of the church must point to the person of Jesus Christ.
5. As we point to Christ with our speech and our conduct prople without Christ will be drawn to Him.
John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
I need to start at the beginning. The apostle Paul in his letter to the Ephesians discribes the condition of humanity without Christ.
I. WHAT WE ONCE WERE
A. Dead in sin
Ephes. 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
1 In the past you were dead because you sinned and fought against God. CEV.
"To be dead in trespasses and sins does not mean unconsciousness or non-existence." In the Scriptural view, sin equals death; and there is no light or casual view of either in the Bible.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death;
B. Influenced by Satan
2 You followed the ways of this world and obeyed the devil. He rules the world, and his spirit has power over everyone who doesn’t obey God.CEV.
1. Followed the ways of the world
2. Obeyed the Devil
3. He rules the world
C. Controlled by lust
Ephes. 2:3a Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind;
Galatians 5:19-21 But when you follow your own wrong inclinations, your lives will produce these evil results: impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure,  idolatry, spiritism (that is, encouraging the activity of demons), hatred and fighting, jealousy and anger, constant effort to get the best for yourself, complaints and criticisms, the feeling that everyone else is wrong except those in your own little group--and there will be wrong doctrine,  envy, murder, drunkenness, wild parties, and all that sort of thing. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.