Summary: John distinguishes the popular views of love and AGAPE, revealing the supernatural nature of Godly love.
I Want to Know What Love Is
• Let me make one disclaimer before I begin because I don’t want to lead anyone down the wrong path.
• Tonight I am going to speak about the supernatural on several occasions.
• I am not talking about divine healing, speaking in tongues, turning water into wine, walking on water, raising the dead or any of the such.
• I will be speaking about doing that which is not natural or possible for mankind.
• I will be referring to that which we can only do when we are fully dependent upon Christ’s life living through us.
• Our topic is far more important than divine healing, speaking in tongues, turning water into wine, walking on water, raising the dead or any of those topics.
• When we get there, I am sure you will be able to understand what I mean. For now, it sounds like I am speaking in riddles, but I assure you, I am not.
• (Read text)
1Jn 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.
1Jn 4:8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
1Jn 4:9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him.
1Jn 4:10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
1Jn 4:11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
1Jn 4:12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.
1Jn 4:13 By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.
• If you are like me, in the first reading of this passage, you will thing, “Hey, John just wrote that before. We’ve already covered this because he is repeating himself.”
• Yes, he touched on this topic before, but like pealing an onion, he goes deeper in light of what he just covered.
• In the next seven verses, John reaches a high point in his writings to these believers.
• He has clearly stated his case on love and faith: that they can only be manifested through the power of the Spirit of God, not through our fleshly strength.
• We can only express faith and love by allowing Christ to live through us.
• When we do that, we do not sin. When we don’t do that, we do no righteousness.
• Last week, we saw that Satan, deceiving many, have set up false teachers to lead people away.
• These teachers redefine all the Christian terms and bring them into human reach.
• This, however, dilutes the message, stripping of it of its power, making it blend into the world, but not effectively standing out in contrast to the world.
• Last week, I mentioned that false teachers were sent by the spirit of the Antichrist to be among us.
• False beliefs weaken our message, impact, influence and testimony.
• We are less effective in the Unites States of America today because of the abundance of Christian denominations, the attempt to make all Christian denominations to look alike, and to make us all look just like good human people with no spiritual power, no powerful message, no cure for the pains of mankind and no purpose but to relieve human suffering.