Summary: Why Jesus preaches the future
Note: The Bible by Jesus will be used throughout this lesson unless otherwise noted after each Bible reference.
A. WHY I PREACH THE FUTURE
1. Because of who I am. “This is the revelation from Jesus Christ which God gave him to show His servants the events that must soon take place” (Rev. 1:1, NLT).
2. Because I am eternal. “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end” (Rev. 1:8).
3. I want you to know. “I told John ‘Written . . . things that are now happening and things that will happen’” (Rev. 1:19).
4. Golden rule of interpretation. “When the plain sense makes common sense, seek no other sense, therefore, take every word at its primary, ordinary, usual, literal meaning.” Cooper 1800s
B. I PREDICTED EVENTS IN THIS PRESENT AGE
1. The 7 churches tell 7 ages before I return – (Rev. 2:1-3, 22).
a. Ephesus – Pentecost to 100 AD – Evangelistic
b. Smyrna – 100 AD to 314 AD – Persecution
c. Pergamos – 324 – 800 – Worldly
d. Thyatira – 800 – 1417 – Doctrinal compromise
e. Sardis – 1517 – Reformation
f. Philadelphia 1417 – 1910 – Revival and missions
g. Laodicea – 1910 – present – Compromise and apostasy
C. GETTING READY FOR MY SECOND COMING
1. Threefold prediction. I was asked, “When will this happen (time)? What signs will tell your return (signs) and what signs will warn of the end of the world?” (Matt. 24:3).
a. I didn’t give exact date, hour or place. “No one knows the day or hour when these things will happen . . . only My Father” (Matt. 24:36).
b. Why? I want you to serve as if you had a lifetime, and watch for Me to come at any moment. “A sensible servant manages his master’s house” (Matt. 24:43). Yet watches . . . you don’t know when your Lord is coming” (Matt. 24:42).
2. I shall come two ways.
a. To only get believers and take them to live with Me. “I am going to prepare a place for you, when everything is ready, I will come and get you” (John 14:3).
b. To judge evil, to transform this earth, to send unbelievers to hell. “I am coming with the clouds of heaven and every one will see Me” (Rev. 1:7). “Wars and threats of war . . . earthquakes (natural calamities). “Sin will be rampant . . . greater anguish than at any time since the world began (tribulation)” (Matt. 24:6-7, 12, 21).
3. If you pray for world evangelization, it will be soon. “The Good News about the kingdom will be peaceful through the whole world, so that all nations will hear it, then the end will come” (Matt. 24:19).
4. The reward for My followers. “I shall come in the glory of My Father . . . and reward everyone according to his works” (Matt. 16:27).
5. What should be your prayer? “Your kingdom come . . . on earth to rule, as You rule heaven” (Matt. 6:10). “Even so, come, Lord Jesus” (Rev. 22:20).
D. I PREDICTED FUTURE SIGNS AND EVENTS
2. Israel will be regathered back in the land in unbelief. “I showed Ezekiel a valley of dry bones. The bones came together. These bones represent the people of Israel . . . I will bring you back to the land” (37:2, 7, 18).
3. The temple will be rebuilt. “Jerusalem will be rebuilt” (Dan. 9:25), and antichrist will sacrifice a pig. The sacrilegious object that causes desecration stood in the Holy Place” (Matt. 24:15).
4. The nations will gather against Israel in the battle of Armageddon. “Demonic spirits gathered all the rulers and their armies to a place . . . Armageddon” (Rev. 16:16).
5. John wrote, “I saw heaven open and a white horse . . . I was the rider . . . coming to wage war with evil . . . the armies of heaven followed Me” (Rev. 19:11, 14).
6. I will judge all unbelievers. “A great white judgment throne and I sat there . . . the dead, both great and small were judged . . . was thrown into the lake of fire” (Rev. 20:1-12, 15).
7. I predicted a 1000 year millennium kingdom. “They all came to life again and reigned with Christ for a thousand years” (Rev. 20:4). Peace, “The calf . . . will be safe with the lion” (Is. 11:6). Curse on nature lifted. “The baby will play safely near the hole of a cobra” (Is. 11:8).
8. A new heaven and earth. John said, “I saw a new heaven and new earth . . . I will wipe every tear from their eyes” (Rev. 21:1, 4).