Summary: To be Saved today, we too must Stay in the House. The House is the Church according to ACTS 2:47 “PRAISING GOD, AND HAVING FAVOR WITH ALL THE PEOPLE. AND THE LORD ADDED TO THE CHURCH DAILY SUCH AS SHOULD BE SAVED.”
TITLE: I’M STAYING WITH THE CHURCH
SCRIPTURE: JOSHUA 2:18-19
I remember many years ago when our children were still small I was awakened in the middle of the night by flash lights and voices around the backyard and around the outside of the house. I jumped out of bed as I heard a loud knock on the front door. Michelle and the children were awakened by the noise and commotion taking place around the house. Everyone was up as I went cautiously to the front door where I saw about dozen police officers and squad cars up and down the street. I remember telling everyone to ‘STAY IN THE HOUSE” as I went outside to talk with the officers to determine what was going on around our home.
I can’t remember exactly what had taken place, it was so long ago, but I do remember why I told Michelle and the children to “stay in the house!”
• Because there is Safety in the house
• There is Security in the house
• There is Protection in the house
• Because there is danger outside
• It could cost them their lives
In the Bible there was a strict command given to “stay in the house!” It’s found in our text this morning. The Israelites—almost 3 million of them—are camped next to the Jordan River. Across the Jordan stands the city of Jericho, surrounded by its two protective walls. From the top of Jericho’s walls, you can see the Israelite Camp - Tents - Campfires, and more people than you’ve ever seen congregated in your life—and they’re about to attack.
Then, two of them, they were spies show up in the city; on the walls in a house! Imagined if it happened at your house - Scared for your life, you don’t dare turn them in—you don’t want to anger their God you have heard so much about. You quickly hide them on your roof, and when the soldiers come to your door, you send them on a wild-goose chase—because you don’t want to anger the powerful Jehovah of the Israelites.
• You send the spies out safely
• But beg them to spare you and your family when they finally attack
• The spies agree, but give you the stern warning
• When we attack - “Stay in the House!”
• Not any Old House – But Stay in This House
If you want to be safe, get in the house! For Rahab and her family to be safe, they have to get in the house. The spies said -- “WHEN WE COME INTO THE LAND, THOU SHALT BIND THIS LINE OF SCARLET THREAD IN THE WINDOW WHICH THOU DIDST LET US DOWN BY: AND THOU SHALT BRING THY FATHER, AND THY MOTHER, AND THY BRETHREN, AND ALL THY FATHER’S HOUSEHOLD HOME UNTO THEE.”
• Literally, they said, “into your house”
• The only way that anyone in the city of Jericho was going to be saved was if they gathered in the house
So, Rahab found her family, and brought them into the house with her —
• Because she wanted to be saved
• She wanted her family to be saved
• To refuse to come into the house was to refuse Salvation
• To refuse to come into the house was to bring death on themselves
You recall the Apostle Paul experienced something like this during that shipwreck as they sailed closed to Crete and a storm arouse and a TEMPESTUOUS WIND CALLED EUROCLYDON. All those in the ship grew fearful for their lives as the boat began to break apart because of the strong storm.
• UNLESS YOU ABIDE IN THE SHIP YOU CANNOT BE SAVED
• There was safety by staying with the Ship
• Don’t take your chances jumping overboard
• Don’t take your chances trying to survive on your own
• There was only safety provided by staying with the Ship
• We too today must stay in the Ship
• The Ole Ship of Zion
o Heard the Saints of Old say – It Has Landed Many A Thousands
o Get on Board – Get on Board
To be Saved today, we too must Stay in the House. The House is the Church according to ACTS 2:47 “PRAISING GOD, AND HAVING FAVOR WITH ALL THE PEOPLE. AND THE LORD ADDED TO THE CHURCH DAILY SUCH AS SHOULD BE SAVED.” We are surrounded by enemies who are ready to destroy us —and the only way to be safe is to “get in the house!”
• Salvation is only found in the Church, because it is the house of God, the body of Christ
• To reject the Church is to reject salvation!
• To reject the Church is to bring destruction upon yourself!