Summary: Keeping the Fundamentals of the Faith Safe in these changing Times!
IF THE FOUNDATION BE DESTROYED
WHAT CAN THE RIGHTEOUS DO?
A judge was interviewing a woman regarding her pending divorce, and asked, "What are the grounds for your divorce?"
She replied, "About four acres and a nice little home in the middle of the property with a stream running by."
"No," he said, "I mean what is the FOUNDATION of this case?"
"It is made of concrete, brick and mortar," she responded.
"I mean," he continued, "What are your relations like?"
"I have an aunt and uncle living here in town, and so do my husband's parents."
He said, "Do you have a real grudge?"
"No," she replied, "We have a two-car carport and have never really needed one."
"Please," he tried again, "is there any infidelity in your marriage?" "Yes, both my son and daughter have stereo sets. We don't necessarily like the music, but the answer to your questions is 'yes'."
"Ma'am, does your husband ever beat you up?" "Yes," she responded, "about twice a week he gets up earlier than I do."
Finally, in frustration, the judge asked, "Lady, why do you want a divorce?" "Oh, I don't want a divorce," she replied. "I've never wanted a divorce. My husband does. He said he can't communicate with me."
MESSAGE: The foundation is most important for the strength of a Building, Nation, Home or Individual.
The blight at the top is not as bad as the breaking up of the bottom.
Howard Hendricks wisely observed, "It is foolish to build a chicken coop on the foundation of a skyscraper." The Christian who fails to live a holy life is failing to utilize the foundation for his life that Christ has given him.
1. A GOOD FOUNDATION WILL PROVIDE
"Happiness can be built only on virtue, and must of necessity have truth for its foundation."
2. A DESTROYED FOUNDATION IS
“We turn to God for help when our foundations are shaking, only to learn that it is God who is shaking them.”
3. THE RIGHTEOUS CAN ALWAYS
Character is like the foundation of a house it is below the surface.
OUR SPIRITUAL FOUNDATION SEEMS TO BE:
I. DECAYING FROM BENEATH.
A. Wane—From our former Doctrine.
B. Weaken—from our foolish Deception.
II. DECLINING MORALS BANKRUPT.
A. Corruption—gross Pornography.
B. Crookedness—governs Politics.
III. DEPARTING FROM BIBLE.
A. Perversion—taught in Schools.
B. Pleasure—topless Society.
IV. DESTINY BLACK, BANEFUL.
A. Uncertain—sound from Pulpit.
B. Undermining—cruelty, Pity.
V. DIVINE JUDGEMENT BEGINNING.
A. Warning—signals Simple.
B. Wage—begin at My Sanctuary.
VI. DEDICATION OF BELIEVERS.
A. Repent—Prophet, Priest, Preacher, People.
B. Return—to the old Paths.
VII. DETERMINE FUTURE BLESSINGS.
A. Prayer—change our Conduct.
B. Purity—change our Commitment.
A foundation of good sense, and a cultivation of learning, are required to give a seasoning to retirement and make us taste of its blessings."
"The cross is Gods connection between time and eternity. He planned it from before the foundation of the world, and it is intended for the whole world."
1. The foundation of all theology is the UNITY OF GOD.
2. Because God is love, the most important lesson he wants you to learn on earth is how to love. It is in loving that we are most like him, so LOVE IS THE FOUNDATION of every command he has given us Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt LOVE the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt LOVE thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
3. "Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first THE FOUNDATION OF HUMILITY."
TEN BASIC STATEMENTS ABOUT MINISTRY
1. THE FOUNDATION OF MINISTRY IS CHARACTER.
2. THE NATURE OF MINISTRY IS SERVICE.
3. THE MOTIVE FOR MINISTRY IS LOVE.
4. THE MEASURE OF MINISTRY IS SACRIFICE.
5. THE AUTHORITY OF MINISTRY IS SUBMISSION.
6. THE PURPOSE OF MINISTRY IS THE GLORY OF GOD.
7. THE TOOLS OF MINISTRY ARE THE WORD AND
8. THE PRIVILEGE OF MINISTRY IS GROWTH.
9. THE POWER OF MINISTRY IS THE HOLY SPIRIT.
10. THE MODEL FOR MINISTRY IS JESUS CHRIST