Summary: Comparing what it would be like if Christ had not risen with what the difference makes of the risen Christ
The Resurrection makes a Difference
- Can you name this series – Play Dragnet Theme
Dragnet acclaimed for its attention to detail and realistic portrayal of the nuts and bolts of police work
- Aried from 1949 radio over to TV 1966
-You knew it's distinctive "dum-de-dum-dum" opening four notes of its theme music was Dragnet
- 'Sgt. Joe Friday's' (Jack Webb) “The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent"
- Then the famous business-like catch phrase, "Just the facts, ma'am."
- Or "All we want are the facts, ma'am"
- (and sometimes "All we know are the facts ma'am)
- Friday goes on to say. “Names have been changed to protect the innocent” - That’s what we have in 1 Co. 15:12
- As Joe Friday to get the facts about the resurrection as it concerns us
- Jn 20;25 Thomas would not believe the facts
If Christ Be Not Risen
1. Then Christ’s Own Testimony Was Untrue
John 2:19 (AV)
19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
- If He failed here how could He be the “Resurrection & the life
John 11:25 (AV)
25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
2. Then His Disciples were Completely Deceived
- This is the keynote of their joyful testimony
- When Christ was crucified they were of all men most miserable
- Hiding in fear, shame
- Suddenly they became most joyful & courageous men
- WHY? – They had seen the risen Lord
3. Then the Christian Church is a Gigantic Fraud
- A majestic structure without foundation
- If no empty grave than this is the emptiest thing on earth
- Only reason we are here is because Christ is alive
4. Than the Christian Experience is a Grand Delusion
Our Assurance, Forgiveness, Joy, Being Justified, Peace, Answered Prayer, Sweet fellowship, Hope
- All imaginary
- You are fatally betrayed
- We die like a dog
- Never to see our love ones
- the whole experience has been a lie – Hallucination
5. Then We Are of All Men Most Miserable
- Standing on the highest pinnacle of expectation
- Having no better outlook
- Most confident hope
- Disillusion & cast down from this high tower of security
- Into the abyss of darkness & despair
- If Christ be not risen the Christian life a ghastly mirage
But Now Christ Is Risen
1 Corinthians 15:20 (AV)
20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
1 Corinthians 15:20 (The Living Bible)
20 But the fact is that Christ did actually rise from the dead and has become the first of millions who will come back to life again someday.
- Does not this have a joyful ring to this shout?
- This is a triumph blast of victory
- The storm shadows of darkness are gone
- The sun is risen
- Hearts beat with anticipated hope
1. Then Is Preaching Not In Vain
1 Corinthians 15:14 (AV)
14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
- The Great Commission
Matthew 28:18–20 (AV)