Summary: If you say that you are a Christian - be a Christian!
If You Claim It – Be It
Titus 2: 1-15
I come to you with great news of great joy. Great news of great deliverance. Deliverance from the traps that Satan sets up along the way in life. Deliverance from not knowing what is right and what is wrong. In the book of Titus, the writings of Paul lead us to his instruction to Titus as Paul is preparing Titus to carry the Gospel all over the world – while Paul is in shackles preparing for his death. The message is entitled – “If You Claim It –Be It!” If you claim to be a Christian, don’t hold back – be what God wants you to be!
Five things today that will help you and I Be the Christian that God wants you and I to be
I. Be Sound in our Belief
a. Our doctrine must be that of God’s word – not the doctrine of the world.
i. Philemon 6
1. “That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you Christ Jesus.”
a. Everything good in us comes from Christ Jesus!”
ii. Colossians 3:16
1. “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs.”
a. The word is our foundation. We must know God’s word.
II. Be Fully Committed to our Lord and Savior
a. Christianity is not a part time occupation. It is a full time, keep your guard up job. You are not working for your local boss at work, you are serving your Heavenly Father who is actually at work for you!
1. “If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold all things are become new” And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given himself to us the ministry of reconciliation.”
a. Once you’ve given your life to Christ – there’s change! Not a lack of commitment! Not a lack of wandering who is in charge of my life.
b. These folks who have a sticker that says “God is my co-pilot” I don’t want to ride next to them on the highway. They’re not on the same level as God. They need to re-think things – “God is my pilot, my leader and my guide.”
c. God requires our service to Him. People who say they can get enough from a TV preacher and not come to church – bless ‘em.
“Comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.”
That shoots their theory. In order to grow – we need each other!
III. Walk the Walk and Talk the Talk
a. Verse 8
i. Speech that is not condemned
ii. Speech that is obedient
iii. Speech that is exhorting or building up
b. Verse 12
i. Walk that is above reproach
ii. Walk that denies sin and worldly things
IV. We have a hope – We have a security – We have great news of great joy which brings great deliverance to us all – only if we believe.
a. Verse 13
i. Hope is in the appearance of Christ
1. Gave himself for you and I so that we could be freed from the bondage of sin.
2. Gave himself so that you and I might have the opportunity to become a peculiar people.
3. Gave himself so that you and I, if we take on the challenge, to go out and share this life changing news with all