Summary: I don’t know how many of you have been attentive to the news, but in the last three months there have been some happenings that should alarm everyone.
I don’t know how many of you have been attentive to the news, but in the last three months there have been some happenings that should alarm everyone. For those that have not been paying attention to the recent events, allow me to recapitulate what has happened during these last three months that should have everyone alarmed, especially parents.
• August 26, 2006, in Essex, Vermont, a 27 year old man entered an elementary school looking for his ex-girlfriend and shot two teachers; one died and the other was seriously injured. After the incident the police discovered that this man had killed the mother of his ex-girlfriend.
• September 13, 2006, in Montreal, Canada, a 25 year old man entered a college armed with a semiautomatic rifle and began shooting. A young woman, eighteen years old, died and more than one dozen students and faculty were wounded before this man committed suicide.
• September 26, 2006, in Bailey, Colorado, a man between the ages of 30-50 years old entered a high school and took six young girls hostage at gun point. After sexually molesting or abusing the girls, he killed one of them and then committed suicide. It is said that this man had intended to kill all of the girls, but that the fast police action prevented him from doing so.
• September 29, 2006, Cazenovia, Wisconsin, a young man, fifteen years old, entered a high school, armed with a shotgun, and killed the school principal.
• And the most recent occurrence, October 2, 2006, in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania, a man 32 years old entered an Amish school, and shot ten girls between the ages of six and thirteen, and later committed suicide. Up till today five of the girls have died.
The experts don’t have a clue as to why these things are occurring, and definitively they can’t explain the meaning behind these dreadful events. All of the experts, that is to say the psychologists, psychiatrists and sociologists are perplexed by these events. And now we must all ask ourselves, how can these things be happening? Something that I have said in numerous occasions is that we are living in very difficult and dangerous times. These incidents that I mentioned are the ones that have received the largest media coverage in recent months, but the reality of it all is that violent and horrific events take place on a daily basis, events that leave us horrified and alarmed. These violent events in the schools have impacted me greatly, and not only because I am a parent, but because I firmly believe that the children and the youth are the future of the church. What is happening is that our youth is being attacked by Satan and his demons more than ever.
Keeping these horrible events in mind, let’s now open our bibles to Deuteronomy chapter 28. In this chapter we find that Moses tells the people of Israel the blessings that they would receive if they remained faithful to God, and we also find that he warns them as to what would happen if they did not. Unfortunately the people did not listen and beginning around 722 B.C., they were conquered and taken into slavery. Although these verses describe events that took place a long time ago, the Word of God is alive, and in these verses will find very well reflected the events of our times, and we will discover the main reason as to why these things are happening.