"If You Pray Don't Worry... If You Worry Why Pray”
Contributed by Levi Wright on Jun 16, 2007 (message contributor)
Summary: The power of prayer will overcome all anxiety and worry if we only trust and believe the Lord’s promises.
Banner of Praises Ministries
Rev. Dr. Levi Howard Wright, Pastor & Founder
“If You Pray Don’t Worry... If You Worry Why Pray”
25 "I tell you, do not worry. Don’t worry about your life and what you will eat or drink. And don’t worry about your body and what you will wear. Isn’t there more to life than eating? Aren’t there more important things for the body than clothes?
26 "Look at the birds of the air. They don’t plant or gather crops. They don’t put away crops in storerooms. But your Father who is in heaven feeds them. Aren’t you worth much more than they are?
27 "Can you add even one hour to your life by worrying?
28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the wild flowers grow. They don’t work or make clothing.
29 But here is what I tell you. Not even Solomon in all of his glory was dressed like one of those flowers.
30 "If that is how God dresses the wild grass, won’t he dress you even better? After all, the grass is here only today. Tomorrow it is thrown into the fire. Your faith is so small!
31 "So don’t worry. Don’t say, ’What will we eat?’ Or, ’What will we drink?’ Or, ’What will we wear?’ 32 People who are ungodly run after all of those things. Your Father who is in heaven knows that you need them.
33 "But put God’s kingdom first. Do what he wants you to do. Then all of those things will also be given to you.
34 "So don’t worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
“If You Pray Don’t Worry... If You’re Going To Worry Why Pray”
One of the greatest needs of mankind is the need to be delivered from Worry and Anxiety. Anxiety, stress, and worry are not suppose to conquer the Christian Believer. Jesus Christ gave us a brand new way of looking at life that is designed to overcome the habit of Worry.
First... Jesus told His followers they should look at nature to see how God (our Heavenly Father) takes care of the birds, flowers, and grass.
Secondly... He said that if God can take care of nature.... then He can certainly meet our needs.
Finally.... Jesus Christ taught His followers to have a Divine Perspective on Life.
He promised that those who seek God and put His Kingdom first will have their needs met.
Therefore.... If You’re Going To Pray..... Don’t Worry...... If You’re Going To Worry Why Pray!
1. Do not worry about necessities (v.25).
2. Do not worry about your life and your body (v.25).
3. Do not worry about food and shelter (v.26).
4. Do not worry about your stature (v.27).
5. Do not worry about your clothing (v.28-30).
6. Do not worry about food, drink, clothing (v.31-32).
7. Do not worry: seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness (v.33).
Therefore.... If You’re Going To Pray..... Don’t Worry...... about tomorrow:..... live one day at a time (v.34). If You’re Going To Worry Why Pray!
1. The believer is not to worry about necessities, about food and drink, about body and clothing.
The words “take no thought” mean do not worry; do not be anxious; do not be overly concerned and caring (cp. Phil. 4:6).
The counsel is so needed it is given three times (Matthew 6:25, 31, 34).
Jesus is not suggesting that a man not prepare for life—that he be lazy and thoughtless with a no-care attitude.
Jesus is talking about being preoccupied with the material possessions of life. Many fall into the trap of centering their mind and thoughts, energy and efforts on the necessities and luxuries of life.
A believer is not to be wrapped up and entangled in the affairs of this world (2 Tim. 2:4)
He is not to “seek ye first” the things of the world, but he is to “seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness,” then God will see to it that he receives all these things (Matthew 6:33).
2. Jesus is talking about being..... so wrapped up in securing things that we become anxious, disturbed, and sleepless. Being focused upon the things of the world keeps a person from walking in the fulness and enjoyment of life. Worry and anxiety can cause serious health problems ranging from sleepless nights and headaches to ulcers, high blood pressure, and heart attacks.
3. Jesus is talking about being.... so consumed with getting that we think little of God. Fear of not having enough and spending all of our time trying to get more and more causes disbelief. A person who works to gain more and more security never knows God. He never knows God’s love and care. He never learns that God looks after those who truly trust him.