Summary: Can you communicate anything of great meaning in a single thought?
- The majority over 35yers have aloud the death 40
million American people (Roe vrs Wade 1973)
- The majority cut off the ears of John Pym because
he dared advocate the liberty of the press.” - 1641
- The majority jeered when Columbus said the world
- The majority threw him into a dungeon for having
discovered a new world
- The majority established slavery
- The majority burned the Christians at the stake
- “The majority crucified Jesus Christ
If this is what the “majority” does, then what are we?
"How long halt ye between two opinions?" (v. 21).
21 Elijah approached the people and said, “How long will you not decide between two choices? If the Lord is the true God, follow him, but if Baal is the true God, follow him!” But the people said nothing.
21Elijah went up to the people and said, “How much longer will it take you to make up your minds? If the Lord is God, worship him; but if Baal is God, worship him!” But the people didn’t say a word.
21 Then Elijah stood in front of them and said, “How much longer will you waver, hobbling between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him! But if Baal is God, then follow him!” But the people were completely silent.
❶ WHICH WAY?.
1. THERE ARE TWO OPINIONS.
- God’s and Mine.
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
- They are as wide apart as light and darkness.
- Which do you follow?
Psalm 139. 17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
2. MANY WAVER BETWEEN THEM.
- The choice is between the "wisdom of man" and the
"wisdom of God"
- Between sin unto death and obedience unto
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
3. YOU ARE ONLY SAFE IF YOU DECIDE FOR CHRIST.
- When the people saw it they said, "The Lord, He is
- " but the prophets were slain at the brook (v. 39).
3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
❷ POPULAR WAY.
1. THEY ARE MANY.
"Baal’s prophets are eight hundred and fifty" (v. 19).
- A depraved religion will always be popular with a
21 The governor answered and said unto them, Whether of the twain will ye that I release unto you? They said, Barabbas.
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
2. THEY ARE EARNEST.
(v. 28). They cried aloud and cut themselves with
- Zeal, but not according to knowledge
Rom. 10. 3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.)
3. THEY ARE DECEIVED.
(v. 29) -"Neither was there voice, nor any to answer".
- The favour and power of God is not to be purchased
Titus 3. 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost
- The fire of the heavenly baptism will not come upon
us by leaping upon the altar and cutting ourselves
1 Cor. 13. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.),
John 7. 38 Amp He who believes in
Me [who cleaves to and trusts in and relies on Me] as the Scripture has said, From his innermost being shall flow [continuously] springs and rivers of living water.).
- It is by faith
❸ THE LORD’S WAY.
- Elijah — ALONE - Committed to the Lord
"I only remain" (v. 22).
- He believed & trusted his savior
- Elijah showed his faith in God as he went back to
Ahab knowing that they were killing prophets
- Outnumbered 850:1-450 - 1: K 18:19
- The battle is the Lord’s
1 John 4. 4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world..