Summary: Why do we do the wrong things when we know there wrong?
I want to start this morning by asking a few questions.
• Raise your hands, who owns a radio?
• How many listen to their radio?
• How many listen to their radio in the car?
• How many listen to their radio at home?
I belong to the group that listens mostly in the car.
• The only time I listen at home for the most part is when we are having storms.
One of my fondest memories of taking trips with my family
• Was that my dad loved to find old radio shows that were still being played and we would listen to them while we were driving.
• Shows like Amos and Andy / the Lone Ranger / But the one that would scare me the most was The Shadow
• For the younger ones that have no clue what I am talking about during the first 30 seconds or so it started out with silence / then there were footsteps / slow footsteps that were coming closer / until they reached the door / and I swear it took like 15 seconds for that door to open / creaking the whole time / then finally came the voice that said
• Who knows what evil lurks within the hearts of men?
• Followed by the answer The Shadow Does.
If we were to try and come up with another word for original sin a good one would be The Shadow
• John Stanford once referred to it as the dark unwanted side of our personalities.
• The Shadow is made up of pieces that don’t fit
• The ones that don’t belong in the picture
Paul wrote that he couldn’t understand his own behavior.
• He said the things I love, I fail to do.
• The things I hate, I find myself doing. Instead of doing the good things I want, I carry out the sinful things I don’t want.
Think back to when you first became a Christian
• You felt great.
• Things began to turn around in your life
• You were full of joy / You began to have victories in your life.
• Life was good and you were happy.
And it went on like that for a while till;
• One day you woke up and it felt like the honeymoon was over.
• Once again things started to go wrong / and it felt like you were losing control.
• Even worse some of the old self had managed to sneak back into your life.
• Old habits were resurfacing.
• And you found yourself thinking that I want to do what is right but I can’t.
• It’s just not working out. / What’s wrong with me?
• There are things going on in my life that I don’t want happening,
• And I know God doesn’t want them happening.
• I know what is right and what’s wrong
• So why do I keep doing what’s wrong?
Why do we do the wrong things when we know there wrong?
• Every person here this morning that made a mistake
• Everyone has messed up in some form or another this week
• And we knew it was wrong when we were doing it.
So Why do we do it?
• It almost seems like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde syndrome.
• It’s like there are two people inside us that keep fighting each other.