Summary: Our world is in need of great role modes, someone that one can look up to.
In the previous years during the time that I grew up there seem to be a couple of hero’s that one could look up to and strive to be like.
However today that list seems to be fading away, as I look around and realize that Billy Graham in November will turn 98 years old, truly on of the last great role models.
Our world is in need of great role models, someone that one can look up to.
The solution to this dilemma is the need of “Imitators of God.” Ephesians 5:1-2 tells us that we should be “Imitators of God.”
There seems to be no real role models today, which means it is even more important that we become “Imitators of God.”
Our scripture passage this evening is found in Ephesians 5:1-2, turn with me and please let us honor the Word of God by standing and follow along with me as I read our passage for today.
Be ye therefore followers of God, (“Imitators of God”) as dear children; And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. Ephesians 5:1-2
I. To be Imitators of God requires one to have evidence that demonstrates God-like characteristics in one’s daily life:
1. “Imitators of God” display the characteristic of universal treatment: Matthew 5:45 says that: That God makes the sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. MB
Just because it seems that some people are blessed and others are not, that is not our concern. Focus on the Lord he will take care of you.
2. “Imitators of God” display the characteristic of Universal compassion: 2 Peter 3:9 says that: The Lord is not slack concerning His promise to us, not like some count slackness.
Our Lord is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. MB
The Lord has your back; he will take care of you.
3. “Imitators of God” display the characteristic of Universal Forgiveness: Psalms 86:5 says that: Because our Lord is good, and ready to forgive us.
Our Lord is abundant in mercy to all those who call upon Him.
When someone does you wrong, remember it is not your responsibility to cast judgment. Be ready to forgive, show mercy, this will please the Lord.
4. “Imitators of God” display the characteristic of Universal Reward: Matthew 6:3-4 says that: You see when you do a charitable deed, remember this do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.
Do that charitable deed in secret; and you’re the Lord see all secret will Himself reward you openly? MB
Those that trust in the Lord and follow his paths will not be forgotten. The Lord sees everything that goes on in your life and he is not slack as some view slackness. He is faithful and full of mercy and will reward you.
II. Imitators of God become examples too
other believers: I Timothy 4:12
1. We become examples to other believers: In word: Proverbs 23:23 says that: Get truth, wisdom, instruction, and understanding never let it go, do not let it slip out your of hands for mere pieces of silver. MB