Summary: Paul is impressed by the Roman church. He says [v 8] that their faith is reported all over the world. This is “impact faith.” It is a faith that makes a difference. The root of this kind of faith is in the gospel.
Other sermons can be found at http://www.lastsermon.blogspot.com/
Romans 1:8 – 17
Paul is impressed by the Roman church. He says [v 8] that their faith is reported all over the world. This is “impact faith.” It is a faith that makes a difference. The root of this kind of faith is in the gospel.
What is this gospel that causes Christians to have “impact faith.”
I. Its source of life changing power is God.
A. The gospel is God’s chosen METHOD.
1. It is spoken.
a. The Bible says, “How then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?” [Romans 10:14]
b. The Bible says, “Consequently, faith comes from HEARING the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.” [Romans 10:17]
***** If someone speaks then you must listen. Problem, we attach to much importance to the person and the delivery method... when we should be listening to the message. *****
2. It must be accepted.
a. The Bible says, “Yet to all who RECEIVED him, to those who BELIEVED in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” [John 1:10]
b. The Bible says, “He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "BELIEVE in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household.” [Acts 16:30 – 31]
B. The gospel is God’s chosen ABILITY of change.
1. It works:
a. Without God intervening in human history, we would be hopelessly lost.
b. Without God’s power at work, life would be staggering because of the weight and consequences of sin.
2. It frees:
a. It frees the believer from the consequences of sin: eternal damnation/hell.
b. It frees the believer from the dominion of sin: we don’t have to be slaves to sin anymore.
C. The gospel is God’s chosen PURPOSE of change.
1. We need powerful and effective help to deal with the problem of sin. Because we can not free ourselves.
2. The PURPOSE is “for salvation.”
3. “We are equally miserable without a savior, equally welcome to the Savior.”
4. Notice salvation is NOT unconditional or universal. There is a condition.... It is “TO EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES.”
II. Its source of life changing righteous is God.
A. If the product of sin in misery and damnation then salvation must get us out of sin.
1. This makes no sense until we admit that we are totally, completely, helplessly, lost.
2. The product of salvation is righteousness (a state of being “right” before God and growing in knowledge and obedience).
3. We tend to think/preach: God is good, people are not, try harder.
B. This is “righteousness FROM God is revealed.”
1. In other words, this righteousness is independent of our efforts. It is GIVEN to everyone who believes.
2. “Awakening” is an old Holiness expression. The image of a person being dead in sin, unable to respond. The Bible says, “As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins.” [Ephesians 2:1]
a. The Holy Spirit “wakes” the person...
b. ...so that the person can respond.