Summary: Jesus feeds 5000 men, plus women and children, with a Happy Meal.
• I know I will have some people's attention this morning because there are fish in the story.
• Fishing and catching fish.
• I don't think Jesus planned on taking his disciples fishing, but he wanted them to get away.
• There were fish involved, however, in their evening.
Mar 6:30-32 The apostles returned to Jesus and told him all that they had done and taught. 31 And he said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while." For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat. 32 And they went away in the boat to a desolate place by themselves.
• Jesus planned a little get-a-way for tired, service-weary disciples.
Mar 6:33-34 Now many saw them going and recognized them, and they ran there on foot from all the towns and got there ahead of them. 34 When he went ashore he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. And he began to teach them many things.
• Some may have anticipated where Jesus and the disciples were going.
• Others saw them coming, predicted their destination, and ran along the shores to meet them.
• Jesus, seeking rest for his disciples, saw the large crowd and need for ministry.
• Instead of agitation, He felt compassion.
• Notice, He taught them.
• They had teachers, but none that really cared for them.
• What a difference it makes when the community knows that a Church cares for them and their families.
Mar 6:35-36 And when it grew late, his disciples came to him and said, "This is a desolate place, and the hour is now late. 36 Send them away to go into the surrounding countryside and villages and buy themselves something to eat."
• John's record said it was Philip who said, "Let's send them away to the towns and village before the Dairy Queens close."
• When the sun went down in those villages, the businesses and markets closed.
Mar 6:37 But he answered them, "You give them something to eat." And they said to him, "Shall we go and buy two hundred denarii worth of bread and give it to them to eat?"
• Jesus said, "Let's feed them. You go gather up our food."
• The disciples answered, "We don't have enough for them. It would take 8 month's wages to feed them.
Mar 6:38-44 And he said to them, "How many loaves do you have? Go and see." And when they had found out, they said, "Five, and two fish." 39 Then he commanded them all to sit down in groups on the green grass. 40 So they sat down in groups, by hundreds and by fifties. 41 And taking the five loaves and the two fish he looked up to heaven and said a blessing and broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples to set before the people. And he divided the two fish among them all. 42 And they all ate and were satisfied. 43 And they took up twelve baskets full of broken pieces and of the fish. 44 And those who ate the loaves were five thousand men.
• five loaves of Barley bread (more like biscuits or rolls) and two small fish.