Summary: This sermon explains how we should live in light of Jesus soon coming.
How should we live in light of Jesus soon return? Revelation 22 discusses this subject. The soon return of Christ is at the center of this chapter.Consider these verses: "I am coming quickly." (vs. 7); "the time is near" (vs. 10); "I am coming quickly" (vs. 12); "I am coming quickly" (vs. 20) How should we live?
I have categorized the chapter into five sections. Each of these answers the question of how we should live, in light of His coming.
1. In light of His coming we should always remain faithful. (refer to 22:7,9,12,14)
A. Be faithful in spite of trials.
B. Be faithful in spite of uncertainty.
2. In light of His coming we must prioritize His word. (refer to 22:6,7,9,10,14,18-19) Paul said we should be diligent "in handling accurately the word of truth." (II Tim. 2:15)
A. We must hear the word(vs.18).
B. We must heed the word (vs. 7, 9).
James said "But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves." James 1: 22-23
Jesus said we are to "teach them to observe all that I commanded you." (Mt. 28: 20) We must apply what God says.
3. In light of His coming we should be active in service(22:12-14).
We will be judged by our work (vs. 12). Obedience is vital(vs. 14).
4. In light of His coming we should be sure of our salvation (22:14-17).
A. At His coming it will be too late. "Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong; and let the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and let the one who is holy, still keep himself holy."vs. 11,15)
The Bible is not advocating an improper lifestyle. It is affirming that when Jesus comes it will be too late to change.
B. God gives assurance to His children(vs. 14). He says you will be given the right to the tree of life.
5. In light of His coming we should live in anticipation(22:17, 20, 21).
A. The Bible says we should live everyday as if this is the day of His return.
B. Even though it has been almost 2,000 years since His first coming, His second return could be any day. God does not count days as humans.