Summary: JESUS HAS ONE FOCAL POINT: HIS FATHER’S BUSINESS!
IN SEARCH OF JESUS: MY FATHER’S HOUSE
LUKE 2: 41-52
JANUARY 31, 2004
INTRODUCTION: “HOME ALONE” THE MOVIE??
A 10 year old girl had gone with a group of family and friends to see some Christmas light displays at various locations throughout the city. At one church, they stopped and got out to look more closely at the beautifully done nativity scene. “Isn’t that beautiful?” said the little girl’s grandmother. “Look at all the animals, Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus.” “Yes, Grandma,” replied the granddaughter. “It is really nice. But, there is only one thing that bothers me. Isn’t baby Jesus ever going to grow up… he’s the same size he was last year.”
TRANSITION THOUGHT: How do we grow in our understanding of just who Jesus is? How do we go from the faith of a child to the faith of an adult? When is it that we allow Jesus to grow up and no longer be the cute little cuddly baby of the manger and become the Risen Savior of the World? When do we allow HIM to completely control our lives as LORD OF ALL? As we continue going in search of Jesus, our text bears out some distinct truth from the Life of Jesus that should apply to all our lives!
THESIS SENTENCE: JESUS HAS ONE FOCAL POINT: HIS FATHER’S BUSINESS!
I. THE BOY JESUS HONORS THE PAST VV. 41-42
A. HIS PARENTS OBEYED THE LAW
1. “Every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover.” Joseph and Mary were devout believers and followed the Law.
2. The Law only required three trips to be made to Jerusalem and this only concerned the Males of the family.
3. Joseph and Mary set a strong example for their son and went every year. This would have been a big expense and tough for a family to do. Mary and Joseph did have other children.
4. Jesus being the oldest was going to Jerusalem for a special event. His parents made sure he was there for this event!
B. JESUS FULFILLED THE LAW
1. Jesus was going to the Temple to become a Son of the Law. Today this is called “Bar Mitzvah”.
2. His parents had made sure he was circumcised on the eighth day. At Twelve he must go to the temple and read the scripture. He fulfilled the obligations of the Law as a young man should. Isn’t it awesome when our young folks follow Jesus in being obedient to God’s will when they are young!
3. Matthew 5: 17-18 teach us that Jesus continued to fulfill the Law and did not abolish it: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.”
4. Jesus was/is the fulfillment of the prophets of old who spoke of the one to come as the messiah, the savior of the world!
TRUTH: JESUS’ PARENTS MODELED THE TRUTH OF HONORING GOD AND JESUS THE 12 YEAR OLD FOLLOWED THE EXAMPLE!
QUESTIONS: DO WE MODEL THE TRUTH OF HONORING GOD? WHAT EXAMPLE DO WE SET FOR THE NEXT GENERATION?
II. THE BOY JESUS HONORS GOD’S CALL VV. 43-47