Summary: The Bible is witness that God is. Read it; believe it; live it; and you will know that God is.
A. "IN THE BEGINNING GOD"
1. The most conclusive word; and the most misunderstood word:
a. It is all-inclusive -
(1) The Bible begins with, "In the beginning God" - Gen. 1:1
(2) The last book of the Bible closes with these words; "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen." - Rev. 22:21
b. Paul summarizes his instructions to Timothy with these words, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God." - 2 Tim. 3:16, 17
2. "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God": Ps. 14:1
a. The atheist says, "There is no God".
b. The agnostic says, "I do not know that there is a God".
c. The materialist says, "I need no God".
d. The Christian says, "There is a God, and I need Him".
B. WHY THIS SUBJECT
1. To know God and Jesus Christ is "everlasting life": John 17:3
2. God wants us to know Him:
a. He wants His enemies to know Him - Ex. 7:5; 8:22; 14:4
3. Revelation of God:
a. A Pagan philosopher asks the Christian, "Where is your God?"; and the Christian asked the Pagan, "Where is He not?" - Ps. 139:1-9
b. The works of God prove that He is -
(1) "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth His handy work" - Ps. 19:1
(2) "For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and godhead" - Rom. 1:20
c. Christ is proof that God is -
(1) "He that hath seen me hath seen the Father" - John 14:9
(2) "For in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily" - Col. 2:9; Heb. 1:3; 2 Cor. 4:4
d. The Bible is witness that God is. Read it; believe it; live it; and you will know that God is - 2 Tim. 3:15-17; John 7:17
C. GOD IS
1. The reason for the universe, because He created it: Ps. 19:1-6; Rom. 1:20
3. He is the reason for our hope: Ps. 78:7; 146:5
a. He is the hope of my future; if there is no God, there can be no future; if God is not, who shall raise me from the dead?
b. Paul speaks of that hope - Acts 24:15
4. What would and could I do without God?
a. When sickness strikes! Ex. 16:26; Ps. 103:1-3
b. When death comes? John 11:1-44; 1 Cor. 15:26; Hos. 12:13
c. When I think of eternity? 5. God is:
a. Everywhere - Ps. 139:7
b. Love - 1 John 4:8. What would life be without love? - Matt. 24:12
c. Just - Mi. 6:8
d. Truth - John 14:16
e. Light - 1 Tim. 6:16; Rev. 22:1-6
f. God is the Giver of all perfect gifts; let us thank Him for them - Jas. 1:17
g. God is, and that is why you and I are. Nothing could exist without God.