Summary: Upon the first four words of the Bible are built all the truth of scripture. How important to begin with God!
“In the beginning God”
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Upon the first four words of the Bible is the foundation for everything we put our trust in.
There has been a lot of theological debate over the creation. God doesn’t give us a lot of information about the details. It is obvious by the many different theories that have been raised that we clearly do not have enough to warrant many dogmatic statements about the creation only a few that I consider of importance.
o God is the creator
o There is a literal six day creation process and on the seventh God rested from His creative process.
o God created all this for His pleasure
o It is evident we can’t know everything about creation - Job 38:4-6 “Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. (5) Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? (6) Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;”
In these first four words God gives us all we need to understand concerning creation. It would be easy to get caught up in speculation of all the processes of creation or to make one part more important than the other, but the focus of all creation is that God created everything. God is the important factor to it all! So should it be in our lives!
“In the beginning God” - Before the beginning was, God is!
I. It establishes the pre-existence of God
A. Before there was time itself, God existed
1. His name, “I am” gives insight to His eternal existence – He is not the I was or I will be, but I am!
2. Jesus told the pharasees, (John 8:58) “Before Abraham was, I am”
a. Abraham “was” – confined to time
b. Jesus “I am” – no time restriction
B. Eternal existence is outside our human understanding
1. Statement – Eternity is a place not a time
2. God views our time as a place upon which He oversees. Although in our past, present and future we work, God is over it all and all at the same time!
3. We are restricted to time and space, but God is not
C. Most of the time we are serving a God that we have confined to our knowledge
1. One of the reasons we limit God in our lives is because we don’t see Him for who He really is – The Eternal, All powerful, All knowing, ever present “I am”
2. We work inside the limit of time – seconds, minutes, hours, days and years. Everything we know has to happen inside those limitations, but with God, He is unrestricted.
3. We work inside our limited capability of power. What we can do and what we perceive that God can do, but God is limitless in His power.
4. We function inside the abilities of our understanding, yet God says His foolishness is above our greatest wisdom and that His ways are so much higher than our ways and His thoughts above our thoughts.
5. We operate in the false notion that God is only present when we call upon Him, but God is always with us, in every situation whether we acknowledge Him or not. - Psalms 139:7-10 “Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? (8) If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. (9) If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; (10) Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.”