Summary: We want to have an encounter with God just as John did on the Isle of Patmos.
IN THE SPIRIT ON THE LORD’S DAY
TEXT: Revelation 1.9-11
John knew who Jesus was. He had walked with Him for 3 years. He had seen Him heal, save and raise the dead. Many miracles were performed while John was watching.
John is around 90 years old at this time. He was the pastor of the church at Ephesus, and had probably founded several of the churches around the area.
I. Companion in tribulation (v. 9)
“I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.” (Revelation 1:9)
1. Rocky island
2. 6 miles wide X 10 miles long
3. Working prison – would put lowest prisoner here – carried rocks
B. John was here because
1. Preaching the word
2. Testimony of Jesus Christ
C. Placed here by Domitian – Emperor of Rome
1. Has persecuted many Christians
2. Was like Nero before him
3. Attempted to kill John by boiling him in oil.
D. John knew what all of the other Christians were going through
E. John was not here to play church
1. He did not need just another day
2. He needed a visitation of God
3. John was in the worst of times
II. We do not come to play church
1. People today need a true encounter with God
2. People come to church with needs in their life
1. They do not come for psycho-analysis
2. They are not looking for us to send them to counseling
3. They need God to meet with them in our altars.
3. Look at some in the Scripture who needed an encounter with Jesus
1. Luke 8 – Lady with the issue of blood – she needed healing
a. She was not supposed to be in a crowd of people – she was unclean
b. She pressed through to touch Jesus
c. She was healed
2. Luke 8 – Jarius’ daughter – at first – healing, then raised from the dead
a. He asked Jesus to come and heal his daughter
b. The servant came and told him that she was dead
c. Jesus raised her from the dead
3. Mark 10 – Blind Bartimaeus
a. He could not see
b. The crowd tried to stop him
c. He continued to cry out – Jesus heard him
d. Jesus healed his eyes
4. These people found Jesus, they were touched by Him
III. In the Spirit (v. 10)
“I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day . . .” (Revelation 1:10)
A. We are told to worship him in spirit
“But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” (John 4:23, 24)
B. This is an important reason to attend church.
1. When things start to go bad, Satan will tell us, “you should just stay home.”
2. Church is the place we need to be, here we can meet with God and come into His presence.
3. In His presence is where the chains will be broken.
C. “Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” (2 Corinthians 3:17)
D. “Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?” (Jeremiah 32:27)
E. Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. (Jeremiah 33:3)