Summary: In the year that king Uzziah died
Isaiah 6 v 1 - 13
This experience for Isaiah came at a pivotal time for he and the nation of Judah. Isaiah lived at a time where Uzziah, who had just died, had ruled some 52 years on the throne of Judah. But his death reflected a changing time.
1. Here is a picture of Absolute Perplexity
II Chronicles 26 we read of
Uzziah’s Piety- he sought Zacharia’s help. 4 And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, according to all that his father Amaziah did. 5 And he sought God in the days of Zechariah, who had understanding in the visions of God: and as long as he sought the LORD, God made him to prosper.
His Prosperity is seen in 9 Moreover Uzziah built towers in Jerusalem at the corner gate, and at the valley gate, and at the turning of the wall, and fortified them. 10 Also he built towers in the desert, and digged many wells: for he had much cattle, both in the low country, and in the plains: husbandmen also, and vine dressers in the mountains, and in Carmel: for he loved husbandry.
His Popularity, his buildings… both a federal and a reserve military, his husbandry.
His Pride. 16 But when he was strong, his heart was lifted up to his destruction: for he transgressed against the LORD his God, and went into the temple of the LORD to burn incense upon the altar of incense.
His Punishment 19 Then Uzziah was wroth, and had a censer in his hand to burn incense: and while he was wroth with the priests, the leprosy even rose up in his forehead before the priests in the house of the LORD, from beside the incense altar. 20 And Azariah the chief priest, and all the priests, looked upon him, and, behold, he was leprous in his forehead, and they thrust him out from thence; yea, himself hasted also to go out, because the LORD had smitten him. 21 And Uzziah the king was a leper unto the day of his death, and dwelt in a several house, being a leper; for he was cut off from the house of the LORD: and Jotham his son was over the king’s house, judging the people of the land.
2. Here is a picture of Absolute Power vv. 1-2 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. 2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
God Alone has total control, total command, total knowledge.
The Assurances For God's People - 6:1-13 Isaiah Saw : -
a) The Majesty of God - 6:1-4
(1) God Directs From His Throne - 6:1 I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne
(2) God Dwells In His Temple - 6:1 and his train filled the temple
(3) God Delivers His Testimony - 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
(4) God Deserves His Tribute - 6:4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke. b) The Might of God - 6:5-8
(1) God Convicts Us - 6:5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.