Summary: Even though we don’t always understand why sometimes bad things happen to good people, God is always good, and His love for us never fails.
[INSERT YOUR NAME HERE] AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY
INTRO TO TOPIC: “I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there’s gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard… and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.” (Alexander… by Judith Viorst).
• Paul won’t be his best friend anymore; he has to go to the dentist, lima beans for dinner!
• As adults, we find these things laughable, but we don’t laugh when we have a bad day.
• What problem are YOU facing today? Marriage trouble, financial problems, health issues, relationship challenges, backslidden children, depression, death of a loved one?
• We all have terrible, horrible days: But – what do we do when those days come??
LIFE IS NOT A DISNEY MOVIE: ALEXANDER VIDEO CLIP
Unlike some pop-culture preachers, this is not “Your Best Life Now!” (That’s Heaven!).
THE PROBLEM OF PAIN: “If God were good, he would wish to make his creatures perfectly happy, and if God were almighty he would be able to do what he wished. But the creatures are not happy. Therefore God lacks either the goodness, or power, or both.” (C.S. Lewis).
THE SUFFERINGS OF JOB: “After this Job opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth. And Job spoke, and said: "May the day perish on which I was born, And the night in which it was said, A male child is conceived.” (Job 3:1-3, NKJV).
• “Why is light given to him who is in misery, and life to the bitter of soul.” (Job 3:20).
• Today, we are going to consider the topic of pain and suffering…
1. PRINCIPLE #1: JOB WAS A GOOD MAN:
“There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was blameless and upright, and one who feared God and shunned evil. And seven sons and three daughters were born to him. Also, his possessions were seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen, five hundred female donkeys, and a very large household, so that this man was the greatest of all the people of the East.” (Job 1:1-3).
• Job was a good man who had a big family and many possessions.
2. PRINCIPLE #2: GOD IS GOOD AND LOVINGLY CARES FOR HIS CHILDREN:
“Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. And the Lord said to Satan, "From where do you come?" So Satan answered the Lord and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it." Then the Lord said to Satan, "Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?" So Satan answered the Lord and said, "Does Job fear God for nothing? Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.” (Job 1:6-9).