Summary: An Overview of Acts 1-9: Through the power of the Holy Spirit, great power, and great opposition, the Church went from being a small band of believers to turning the world upside down.
Inside Out: The New Testament Church Turns the World Upside Down
An Overview of Acts 1-9: Through the power of the Holy Spirit, great power, and great opposition, the Church went from being a small band of believers to turning the world upside down.
I. Introduction: Luke tells the story
1. HisStory, Our Story: A continuation of the work of Jesus – a great cloud of witnesses. 1:1
2. Wait! Don’t do anything without the Holy Spirit: God is worth the wait! 1:4
3. What are you looking at: Jesus is gone, now do what he said. 1:11 They Prayed and Obeyed: chose Mathias to replace Judas
1. Overwhelmed: Never the Same! 2:1-4
Weird but Cool: The Power of the Holy Spirit: God is not “normal”
2. Power for What? To bring glory to God and people to Jesus. 1:8
3. Sons & Daughters: The power of God does not discriminate. 2:17 The Power of Prophecy is critical to this generation.
4. Be Saved: from this Perverse Generation: Why should I be a Christian? 2:40
III. Peter James and the Crippled Beggar
1. Beggars are at our door: Get Beyond Pentecost: 3:2
2. Life Words: Speak words of faith, not doubt: Stop begging, start walking! Failure is not final! 3:6
3. What are we standing for: Are we standing up for what is right, or just what is trendy? Salvation in no other name 3:12
4. Have you been with Jesus: It shows! 3:13
5. More: When they were arrested, they asked for more! They were in prison, but they were free! 3:29
IV. First Church problems: every church has problems
1. Dying for A Lie: This is Serious! Ananias & Sapphira 5:42
2. Food Ministry: From Problem to Purpose: 6:1-7
3. Stephen: World Changing Faith: Stephen saw the heavens open. 7:56
4. Simon: You cannot buy the power of God: 8:9- Prayer and Repentance is our responsibility. 2 Chron 7:14
V. Church inward to outward.
1. Philip shares the Gospel with the Ethiopian official: The Gospel is spreading to other nations.
2. Saul: The great threat becomes the greatest asset
A Spiritual Knockout: Sometimes we have to get knocked down to get up. Woe is Me: when the glory of God brings us down. Isaiah 6
Blinded by the Light: When we see Jesus, the light come on.
3. Ananias: God calls your name!
Paralysis of Analysis: If we think too much, we can become paralyzed by fear.