Summary: The Psalmist David gives us some good instructions on how to handle hard times when they come.
PSALM 62:1-12 “INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO HANDLE HARD TIMES”
A) I read about a man that was sitting at home one evening when the doorbell rang!
* When he answered the door, a six-foot tall cockroach was standing there.
* The cockroach immediately punched him between the eyes and scampered off.
* The next evening, the man was sitting at home and once again the doorbell rang.
* When he answered the door there was that six-foot tall cockroach again.
* This time it punched him, kicked him, and karate chopped him before running away.
B) The third evening the man was sitting at home and once again his doorbell rang!
* He opened the door and once again there was that six-foot tall cockroach.
* This time it leapt at him and stabbed him several times.
* The gravely injured man managed to crawl to the telephone and call 911.
* An ambulance arrived and rushed him to the hospital.
C) As he was being treated at the hospital, the doctor asked what happened!
* The man explained about the six-foot cockroach.
* The doctor thought for a moment and said, “Yea, there is a nasty bug going around.”
D) There may be some of you that feel like a nasty bug is going around!
* There are times in life when it seems we are being kicked, punched, and stabbed by the events
and happenings of life.
* There are those hard times when life is pressing and distressing.
* Things are hard to deal with, hard to face, and hard to handle.
E) Psalm 62 was a Psalm written by David during a hard time in his life!
* The background of Psalm 62 is that anguishing time of Absalom’s rebellion.
* Absalom had been attempting to take the throne away from David and the conspiracy was
growing stronger each day. * It was a very disturbing and distressing time for David!
F) In Psalm 62 David tells us what he did during this hard time in his life!
* As I read the Psalm it’s like David is giving us instructions about what to do when hard times
do come! * Let me give you 3 things that David instructs us to do when hard times come .......
(1) HOW WE SHOULD TURN TO THE LORD!
* David begins the Psalm by saying, “Truly my soul waiteth upon God:”
* In the hard times of life, David turned to the Lord.
* When the hard times come we should turn to the Lord, or to put it another way, take our
problems to the Lord! * Why did David turn to the Lord? * Notice why in the Psalm .......
A) He Found Salvation In The Lord! * David says in v.1, “From Him cometh my salvation.”
* In v.2, he says, “He only is my rock and my salvation.”
* In v.6-7 he repeats himself and says, “He only is my rock and my salvation:” and “In God is my
salvation.” * The word “salvation” speaks of that which has been saved or delivered!
* When David spoke of the Lord as being his salvation he was declaring that God was his
deliverer ... He knew that in the hard times the Lord could deliver him!
* When David spoke of the Lord as being his deliverer, he gives an interesting description of how
God delivers! * As you look at the Psalm you see that David says certain things about God .......
1) In v.1 and then in v.5, he practically repeats himself!