Summary: Integrity is NOT something we have within us, it is something that can only come from God.
Date Written: August 22, 2006
Date to be Preached: August 27, 2006
Where Preached: OZHBC (AM)
Sermon Series: Living a Life of Integrity
Sermon Title: Integrity comes from
Obedience to God
Sermon Text: Daniel 1:1-21
* - before beginning the sermon we have a sketch entitled "The Monkey House" written by Scott Crain and is available online at www.dramaministry.com (approx 3 minutes)
8 But Daniel made up his mind that he would not defile himself with the king’s choice food or with the wine which he drank; so he sought permission from the commander of the officials that he might not defile himself.
Dan 1:8 (NASB)
This morning I want you to turn to Daniel… the 1st chapter and we are going to look at and study about something that is disappearing in our world today and that is INTEGRITY!
What is integrity? The Encarta Dictionary defines integrity as “…the possession of firm principles… the quality of possessing and steadfastly adhering to high moral principles or professional standards…”
Back in the day…some would have said that integrity was keeping your word and doing the right thing, regardless of the circumstance or situation or how it affected you…
But in today’s world, integrity has lost its meaning, in fact there are many in this world today who don’t even know what integrity is…as this recent street interview video reveals…
Here I show a video called "Integrity" that I downloaded from www.sermonspice.com (Video length is about 2 1/2 minutes)
Out of the 34-35 people who were interviewed on that short 2½ minute video 12 people either refused to answer or they said they didn’t know what it meant…
Of the remaining 22 people 8 people felt that honesty was the main ingredient to integrity…
Others were more vague in their comments saying things like…
• Doing what you’re supposed to do… in our world today that has many meanings and is NOT a straight forward answer…
• Doing what you say you’re gonna do... again in our world today this could mean anything and it does not reflect what integrity is… if a man says he is going to rob a bank and does… does he have integrity?
• Feeling good about what you do… this answer is conforms to the secular humanist movement that saturates our society today… all is focused on yourself and YOU are the center of the universe!
• It is Self Worth… again focusing on yourself and the humanistic flavor of the world we live in…
I was most impressed by 3 particular answers that were given…
One man actually gave 2 of these answers. He first said, “…it is something inside you that does the right thing…’ His other answer was, “…not always doing the popular thing, but doing the right things regardless…”
That man’s answers matched up well with another man’s answer of, “…doing the right thing all the time no matter what the consequences…”
And as good as those answers sound, yet still they do NOT accurately give us a picture of what true integrity is in the life of a believer! We know that Christ would never have misled anyone! And we also know that God does not LIE.