Summary: Moses begins his role as leader of the exodus!
Introducing Moses - Leader Extraordinaire
From baby afloat, to Pharaoh’s house, to murderer’s row, to lowly shepherd, to leader of God’s people. Sounds like a fairy tale, but it is reality in the power of God!
In Moses’ emergence as the leader of the Israelite nation, we see:
I. A Growing Faith (Exodus 4:18-5:1)
B. Faith on the move, with some hiccups:
1. By virtue of his calling, became a
privileged Hebrew, but kept
2. By virtue of calling, was
despised. Again by both, but kept
3. By virtue of his calling, became
an alien in a foreign land, but
4. Doubted God, but kept pressing!
(5:22-23, 6:12, 30)
II. A Reward for faithfulness
A. The Power of God:
1. Before the people (4:30)
A. The staff (4:1-4)
B. The hand (4:6-7)
C. The water (4:9)
2. Before the Egyptians (7:8-12:33)
A. The staff* G. Boils
B. Blood* H. Hail**
C. Frogs* I. Locusts
D. Gnats J. Darkness**
E. Flies** K. Firstborn
(*Duplicated by Pharaoh’s magicians)
(**Pharaoh says “Go!” and then
B. The Promise of God
1. The people would not listen to
Moses’ call to persevere. (6:9)
2. Pharaoh’s response
A. Had magicians duplicate
some of the signs and as a
result, would not budge.
B. When they couldn’t
duplicate, Pharaoh refuses
C. Finally, after three
reversals, agrees to let
1. We must do as God commands.
2. We are accompanied by God’s power.
3. We are not promised an easy road.
4. We will succeed.