Summary: Introduction to the Sermon series on John 3:16
Note: I used Preachers Sermon and Outline Bible book on John for notes and research.
Title: Unless You are Born Again
Text: Joh 3:1-21
Views of the Gospels
Matthew – Jesus Messiah
Mark – Jesus Servant
Luke – Jesus Son of Man
John – Jesus Son of God
People sometimes say that Jesus never claimed to be God. John proves them wrong.
John 14:6 Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
John 1 “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was God, He was in the beginning with God”
“I AM that I AM” : Exodus 3:14
• I AM the Bread of Life Ch. 6
• I AM the Light of the World Ch. 8
• I AM the Door of the Sheep Ch. 10
• I AM the Good Shepherd Ch. 10
• I AM the Resurrection and Life Ch. 11:25
• I AM the Way, the Truth, the Life Ch. 14:6
• I AM the True Vine Ch. 15:1, 5
(1) There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. (2) This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him."
A. Pharisee – religious law keepers
B. Ruler of the Jews – has authority John 3:10 “master of Israel”
C. Came representing the people
D. Recognized Jesus as a teacher who “came from God” how? Nobody can do these signs unless God is with him”
He is not accepting Him as Messiah but at least as a man who “came from God” and God is with Him. Now remember this is early on. Later on the Pharisees would reject Jesus and have Him crucified. But right now they are trying to figure things out.
Also notice that Jesus does not go on trying to prove Himself but peers into the heat of Nicodemus to see the root of the problem. This was not about the people he represented this was about him.
I believe that Jesus sees the heart of the matter.
As I read where people asked, “Why did God chose Paul?” When he always choses the weak yet he chose Paul, mainly because he saw the heart and zeal of Paul. Paul wanted to please and have more of God, he wanted to do whatever he could to promote God’s kingdom he just got wrapped up in the wrong religion or at least the wrong group, the Pharisees.
(3) Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again (from the first completely and fully, again a second time, from above from God), he cannot see the kingdom of God."
IOW – a person cannot “see” the kingdom of God (even if it is right before them) if they are not born again.
Mat 15:13 But He answered and said, "Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. (14) "Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch."
We can become so blinded by our circumstances that we can’t see “the kingdom of God”. That which God is doing around us. So blinded by our religious spirit, our ways, our doctrines, etc.
(4) Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?"
Obvious confusion on the part of Nicodemus. This was new language.
Eze 11: (18) "And they will go there, and they will take away all its detestable things and all its abominations from there. (19) "Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give them a heart of flesh, (20) "that they may walk in My statutes and keep My judgments and do them; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God.
(5) Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
Water – cleansing
Old Testament ceremonial cleansing,
Spirit – changing
Isa 44:3 For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring: 4 And they shall spring up as among the grass, as willows by the water courses.