Summary: We are encouraged to live the Christian life with the view of Christ as the Supreme God over all.
INTRODUCTION TO THE STUDY OF COLOSSIANS
TEXT: COLOSSIANS 1:1-8
The book of Colossians is one book that every Christian must study and hold on to it for a victorious life in Christ. It is perhaps the most Christ-centered book in the Bible. The writer spoke more on the preeminence of the person of Christ and the completeness of the Salvation provided by Jesus Christ to us. Colosse is the city, which is located in a valley while the citizens are called Colossians.
1) Authorship and date : Colossians 1:1
Paul wrote it between AD 60 and 61 during his first Roman imprisonment (Acts 28:16-31) and sent it with Tychicus and the converted Onesimus to Colosse- Colossians 4:7-9, Ephesians 6:21,Philemon 1:10-12. Some other letters he wrote in prison are Ephesians, Philippians and Philemon.
• Paul - an Apostle (a special messengers) of Jesus Christ by the will of God
• Although in the prison, in peril and persecution, God visited and gave him divine eternal messages.
• A converted slave is free from the cure and judgment of slavery. He becomes alive, liberated in Christ and a messenger of Jesus Christ.
2) Who were the recipients of the letters? Colossians 1:2
The letter was not addressed to the people of Colosse but to the Church at Colosse. Meaning that it is for the body of Christ; the Saints. Today, we are the body of Christ present in this world.
3) The Pastor of the Colossian Church- Colossians 1:3-8
Apostle Paul did a work as a Senior Pastor but he had servants of God who took care of each Church (center). A faithful minister of Christ by name Epaphras was the Pastor of this Church. He bore witness to what God had done in the Church. Colossians 4:5-8, Colossians 4:12-13. Epaphras was a slave of Christ and not to man like Onesimus who was a slave to Philemon.
4) The Exploits of the Church- Colossians 1:3-5
Apostle Paul gave thanks to God for the Church at Colosse on these things:
b) The love of the saints(body of Christ) and love in the spirit- Colossians 1:8
d) They understood the grace of God in Truth - Colossians 1:6
Conclusion: We are encouraged to live the Christian life with the view of Christ as the Supreme God over all.