Summary: Inventory in the Pig Pen
A. Inventory Time
1.When a businessman must take time to count all his possessions
2. The time when the facts are must be faced for profit or loss
B. The young man who took inventory in a pig pen
1. When all was counted, he found he had great loss
2. His resolution, "I will arise and go to my father"
C. What had brought him to such loss and what:
1. HE HAD THOUGHT ONLY OF GOODS...Instead of God.
A. Perhaps the tenderest story told by Jesus
1. The father, a good and compassionate man
2. The great grief brought to the father.
B. Someday apart of all these will be mine
1. Surely no thought of God here
3. The father approached for the inheritance
C. He would fine those goods empty, but now they seemed important.
D. He is not the only one who found things empty.
1. Solomon’s search (Eccl. 1:12-2:11)
2. THE RICH YOUNG RULER (Luke 18:18-25
2. He thought only of his flesh...Instead of his future
A. Wasted his substance in riotous living.
B. Had to get into that far country, away from his father
C. Thought so many of his problems would be settled by getting away
1. So many today...a new environment
2.Daniel 12:3: "Many shall run to and fro"
D. The cry of the flesh
1. Eph.2:3; 5:1-8
2. The cry of the flesh is for feeling.
F. HERE NOW YOU HAVE THE TWO DIRECTIONS IN WHICH MEN MOVE
1. Those who are searching for satisfaction in goods.
2. Those who are searching for satisfaction in feeligs, drugs, acohol or other pleasures.
G. The sad picture in the pegpen
3. He faced the facts...instead of feigning happiness
A. When he came to himself
B. How many hired servants have bread enough and to spare
C. He did not ignore the situation as some might have done:
1. I’m hungry, but I guess everybody else is too
2. I’m feeding pigs, but lots of others are also
D. Some excuse their spiritual misery by thinking everybody is in the same boat
E. He responded to the truth and it changed his life
A. The Great Resolution
1. I will arise and go to my father
2. The father awaits and welcomes him
B. Forgiveness awaits all who come to God through Christ
C. Come home today