Summary: Not everyone has God as their Father
Is God Your Father?
1. Not everyone has God as their Father...
a. Jesus identified some who did not have God as their Father - Jn 8:42
b. He even said their father was the devil! - Jn 8:44
2. Who is your Father? God or the devil...?
a. If God is your Father, you will love Jesus - cf. Jn 8:42
b. Love of the Son is proof that we have God as our Father
We prove that God is our Father when we love the Son in at least seven ways. For example...]
I. BY TRUSTING IN JESUS
A. CAN LOVE EXIST WHERE THERE IS NO TRUST...?
1. Between husband and wife?
2. Between friends?
B. SO TRUST IN JESUS IS INHERENT TO LOVING HIM...
1. He asks us to trust Him - cf. Jn 14:1
2. How can we say that we love Him, if we don't trust Him?
[If we trust Jesus in this way, we must surely love Him - and thus God is our Father! But we also show our love for Jesus...]
II. BY OBEYING HIS COMMANDMENTS
A. KEEPING HIS COMMANDMENTS IS INDICATIVE OF LOVE...
1. As Jesus made clear, time and again - Jn 14:15
2. Can anything be more clear?
B. YET MANY FAIL TO DO WHAT JESUS TEACHES...
1. He said to repent (Mk 1:14-15) - but many don't, while professing to love Him
[Jesus said it best in Lk 6:46...why bother to call Him Lord if we don't do what He says? If God is our Father, we will obey Jesus Him gladly because we love Him. We also show love for Jesus...]
III. BY DELIGHTING IN HIS COMPANY
A. IF YOU LOVE SOMEONE, YOU ENJOY BEING WITH THEM...
1. E.g., friends, loved ones
2. Can you imagine someone loving Jesus, but not wanting to be with Him?
B. YET IT SEEMS WE DO NOT ENJOY BEING WITH CHRIST...!
1. Demonstrated by their disregard for His Word revealed by the Spirit - Jn 16:12-14
a. They don't make the effort to read it
b. They don't take advantage of opportunities to study it
C. WHY SUCH DISREGARD FOR THE COMPANY OF CHRIST...?
1. For those new in faith, it is likely ignorance
2. For others, Satan and sin has hardened them into complacency
cf. He 3:12-14
[If we love Jesus, we will love the opportunities to be in His company. We will also show our love...]
IV. BY SPEAKING ABOUT HIM
A. WE OFTEN DEMONSTRATE LOVE THIS WAY...
1. "Let me tell you about my grandchildren!"
2. "You want to see the latest pictures?"
B. SO THE EARLY CHURCH DEMONSTRATED THEIR LOVE FOR JESUS...
1. E.g., the apostles - Ac 5:41,42
2. E.g., those scattered abroad by persecution - Ac 8:1,4
C. DO WE NOT LOVE THE LORD...?
1. How can we be the children of God, if we are ashamed to speak of His Son?
2. Imagine treating your family that way
[We should always be ready to speak about Jesus (cf. 1Pe 3:15). We also show our love...]
V. BY WILLINGLY SUFFERING FOR HIM
A. MANY MAKE GREAT SACRIFICES FOR OTHERS...
1. Parents give up much to be able to have and support children
2. People are willing to jeopardize their lives for loved ones
3. Even a dog will risk his life to save his master
B. DO WE LOVE OUR LORD ANY LESS...?
1. Especially when we receive salvation through His suffering? - He 5:7-9
2. Paul called Timothy to join in suffering with him for Christ 2Ti 1:7-12
3. Peter likewise enjoins all to suffer willingly if need be 1Pe 2:19-21; 4:1
[Another way to express our love for Jesus, and thereby prove that God is our Father...]
VI. BY LONGING TO BE LIKE HIM
A. CHILDREN DEMONSTRATE LOVE THROUGH IMITATION...
1. By adapting mannerisms of the parents they love
2. Some good, some not (such as bad habits)
B. CAN ONE SAY THEY LOVE JESUS, BUT NOT WANT TO BE LIKE HIM...?
1. Especially when imitating Jesus is the goal of Christian doctrine?
Col 3:9-11Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.
[Finally, we show love for Jesus...]
VII. BY DESIRING TO PLEASE HIM
A. CONSIDER PEOPLE IN LOVE...
1. What man or woman won't go out of their way to please the one they love?
2. They'll change clothes, mannerisms, hobbies, etc.
B. CHRISTIANS ARE TO BE SIMILAR...
1. For we are a pure virgin betrothed to Christ - cf. 2Co 11:2