Summary: Are there problems in your life? How do we overcome obstacles that seem so overwhelming? Look at the example of Joshua and the Israelites as they cross over a flooded Jordan River to accept their inheritance. When it floods in your life Harvest may onl
Is it Flooding in Your Life?
The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, deserted island. He prayed for God to rescue him, and every day scanned the horizon to see if help was on the way. He eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements.
One day, after sitting on the beach and staring out into the ocean, which stood between him and civilization, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, the smoke rolling up to the sky. It was just more than he could take. He was stunned with grief and anger. “God, how could you do this to me?” But the next day, he woke to the sound of a ship approaching the island.
Upon being rescued he asked in wonder, “How did you know I was here?” “We saw your smoke signal,” they replied.
We will not always understand, but we can always trust that God is in control. With what seemed like a devastating blow to someone who certainly didn’t need more bad things in his life, God rescued this man from his island prison.
Open you bibles to Joshua.
• Moses has died and God comes to Joshua
• “Get ready to cross the Jordan into the land I am about to give to you.”
• “I will give you every place you set your feet as I promised.”
• Joshua and the Israelites get ready to cross the Jordan to receive their inheritance.
• They had been wandering the desert for 40 years
• Waiting for God to allow them entrance into the promised land.
• Joshua gave instructions as to how they were to cross.
• Follow the Ark (God) 3:3
• Consecrate (Sanctify) Yourselves 3:5a
• Prepare for Amazing things 3:5b
• The time came for Israel to take the promised land.
• After 40 years of wandering the desert it was finally time.
• Just cross the Jordan and “everywhere you set your feet will be yours.”
“So when the people broke camp to cross the Jordan, the priests carrying the ark of the covenant went ahead of them. Now the Jordan is at flood stage all during harvest.”
• Can you imagine how the Israelites must have felt?
• As much grumbling as they had done while in the wilderness don’t you think the thought had crossed at least one of their minds, “You would think that after 40 years God could have picked a better time for us to cross the Jordan other than when its flooding.”
• Have you ever been at flood stage in your life?
• A time when it seemed that just when everything was finally going your way and things were going to work out, BOOM here comes the flood and there seems to be no way to get through it?
• There are spiritual obstacles as well, things that hinder us and stand in our way of receiving God’s Inheritance for us.
• These obstacles stand between where we are in our walk with God and where we would like to and should be.
• If we are not as close to the Lord as we need to be then the question to ask is “Why Not?”
• Maybe a secret sin that we are holding on to, may be a question of whether or not you can live up to God’s standards, or maybe it is indifference, we’ve grown cold in the work of the Lord.