Summary: WHAT WILL A MAN TRADE HIS SALVATION FOR? JESUS ASKS A GOOD QUESTION. NOT JUST A GOOD QUESTION BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION A PERSON WILL EVER BE ASKED.
08 IS IT WORTH THE TRADE?
26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
INTRODUCTION: WHAT WILL A MAN TRADE HIS SALVATION FOR?
JESUS ASKS A GOOD QUESTION. NOT JUST A GOOD QUESTION BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION A PERSON WILL EVER BE ASKED.
RECENTLY I SAW A YOUNG LADY IN A GAS/CONVENIENCE STORE.SHE WAS AT LEAST THREE FEET TALL IF NOT SHORTER.IN FACT, IF I HAD NOT SEEN HER I MIGHT HAVE ACCIDENTLY TRIPPED ON HER.
SHE HAD NO RIGHT ARM, AND WITH HER LEFT ARM, SHE LIFTED HER PURSE TO THE COUNTER, AND PULLED OUT A $20 DOLLAR BILL WITH A LITTLE NUB OF A FIST THAT APPEARED TO HAVE FEW IF ANY FINGERS.
I HAD, ONLY A FEW MINUTES BEFORE, COMPLAINED OF THE PAIN AND DISCOMFORT IN MY ARMS, HANDS AND FEET FROM ARTHRITIS.
1. GOD SPOKE TO MY HEART: “WANT TO TRADE YOUR CONDITION FOR HER’S?”
2. HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHAT SATAN TALKS MANY FOLKS INTO TRADING FOR?
3. HE OFTEN ENTICES PEOPLE WITH THINGS THAT LOOK GLAMOROUS, YET TURN OUT TO BE DISASTROUS.
I. WOULD YOU TRADE FOR A GAIN OF PROFIT?
JESUS SAID WHAT CAN A MAN PROFIT IF HE GAIN THE ENTIRE WORLD AND LOSE HIS SOUL.
The world, the Devil, and a man’s own heart are opposed to his salvation; therefore it is difficult. The soul was made for God, and can never be united to him, nor be happy, till saved from sin: therefore it is necessary. He who is saved from his sin, and united to God, possesses the utmost happiness that the human soul can enjoy,
16 And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. 17 He thought to himself, ’What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’
18 "Then he said, ’This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19 And I’ll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." ’
20 "But God said to him, ’You fool! This very night your soul will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’
21 "This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God."
(A) SALVATION IS WORTH MORE THAN THE PROFIT OF THE ENTIRE WORLD
1. HE HAD GREAT WEALTH, SECURITY BEYOND ALL MEASURE, NO WORRIES ABOUT HIS FUTURE. (GREAT LIFE INSURANCE)
2. HOWEVER, HE HAD NO LIFE ASSURANCE
(B) HE HAD ALL THE MATERIAL THINGS HE WOULD EVER NEED ***
1. HE LACKED THE ONE THING NEEDED TOO GET HIM INTO HEAVEN.
2. MANY WILL COME TO THE END OF LIFE’S WAY, AND FIND A RUDE AWAKENING. THEIR MATERIAL GAIN WILL NOT GET THEM INTO HEAVEN.
( C ) HE WAS LIKE THE RICH MAN OF LUKE 16.
1. MATERIALS BUT NO CONCERN
2. MATERIALS BUT NO COMPASSION
3. MATERIALS BUT NO COMMITMENT.
II. WOULD YOU TRADE THE JOY OF YOUR SALVATION FOR THE GRATIFICATION OF PLEASURE?
KING DAVID DID JUST THAT (2 SAM CH 11)
HERE WAS A MAN GREATLY BLESSED OF GOD.
THE BIBLE SAID HIS HEART “BEAT AFTER GOD”
HIS PSALMS ATTRIBUTE HIS LOVE FOR GOD.
AND YET!! HE TRADED HIS JOY FOR A FEW MOMENTS OF FLESHLY GRATIFICATION. (HOW DID THIS TRANSPIRE?)
(A) DAVID WAS IDLE* WHEN HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN INVOLVED.
1. OTHER KINGS WERE OFF IN WAR AT THE DESIGNATED TIME. DAVID REMAINED AT HOME, OUT OF PLACE.
2. OUT OF PLACE W/GOD PUTS YOU IN PLACE W/SATAN.
(B) DAVID WAS PLAYING WHILE HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN PRAYING.
1. THE LOOK OF LUST WAS HIS DOWNFALL.
2. SATAN KNOWS YOUR GREATEST WEAKNESS.
( C) DAVID CONFUSED HIS GREED WITH HIS NEED.
1. HE HAD MANY WIVES.
2. HE KNEW BATHSHEBA WAS ANOTHER MAN’S WIFE.
3. HE ALLOWED LUST TO OVERCOME HIM.
(D) DAVID’S PLAN WAS TO COVER UP HIS SIN. (EXPLAIN)
(GOD’S WORD DECLARES: “ BE SURE YOUR SINS FIND YOU OUT”) ****
1. YOU CAN’T HIDE THINGS FROM GOD
2. GOD EXPOSED DAVID’S SIN
3. DAVID BEGGED FOR FORGIVENESS (SEE PSALM 51)
4. DAVID POURED OUT HIS HEART BEFORE GOD UNTIL GOD SAW THE INTENT AND DETERMINATION OF DAVID AND FORGAVE HIM. (THOUGH THE SWORD DEPARTED NOT) MERCY AND JUDGMENT CO-EXISTED IN HIS LIFE.
III. WOULD YOU TRADE THE JOY OF YOUR SALVATION FOR THE GLORY OF SELF- RIGHTEOUSNESS.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God , and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.