Summary: The subject of wealth has been one of great controversy since the beginnings of the New Testament Church. We cannot serve God and Mammon. Does this mean that it's wrong to be wealthy? Let's examine this subject from the teachings of Jesus.
• The subject of wealth has been one of great controversy since the beginnings of the New Testament Church. We cannot serve God and Mammon. Does this mean that it's wrong to be wealthy? Let's examine this subject from the teachings of Jesus.
• The Setting - Jesus had just spent all night in prayer, chose His disciples the following morning, held a deliverance & miracle meeting and now He was going to begin teaching His chosen disciples.
I. THE FOUR BLESSINGS
• Blessed - supremely blest; fortunate, well off: - blessed, happy
A. Blessed be ye poor…
1. Ye… Not “thee”.
2. Why are you blessed? Because yours is the kingdom of God!
3. God’s Kingdom is “God’s system and ways of doing things.”
a) You are blessed because you have access to God’s system and ways of doing things and that is the answer to the problem of poverty!
B. Blessed are ye that hunger “now”…
1. You are hungry “now” but not forever because you have access to the kingdom of God and that makes it possible for you to be filled.
C. Blessed are ye that weep “now”…
1. Ye “shall” laugh!
D. Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
1. Our response should be:
b) Leap for Joy
2. Our Focus
a) Our reward in heaven
b) Remember the prophets before
c) Evidently we are on track
II. THE FOUR WOES
A. V.24 - Woe unto you that are rich… People get sidetracked when they fail to “study” and “rightly divide” the Word of God. II Timothy 2:15
1. Is it wrong to have wealth?
a) 3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
b) 2 Corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
c) Deuteronomy 8:18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.
d) 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
e) Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
f) Psalms 1:1-3 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. 3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
2. What does this Scripture mean if there are so many in the Bible that promotes Godly wealth? - Rightly Divided…
a) In the book of Matthew this part of the story is left out. It seems that Jesus was addressing the Pharisees and Scribes who had fleeced the people and manipulated them into making them wealthy.
b) It is wrong to manipulate money out of people. (The Pharisees and Scribes had their reward)
c) Learn the Word and let the Word work in you. If it works in you it will work through you.
3. God’s Word teaches us to have the right attitude towards wealth.
a) Luke 12:13-21 - Read
(1) V.19 - Never have a conversation with your “soul” concerning temporal things. Be Spirit-Driven not Soul-Driven - Expound
(2) V.20 - You can’t take it with you and why would you leave it to someone who is going to squander it and not use it to advance God’s Kingdom?
(3) V.21 - Encourages us to be “rich towards God!” - Prioritize God’s work with your finances!
B. V.25 - Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger… Rightly divide it!
1. It’s wrong to live it up while there are hungry and hurting people around you.
a) 1 John 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?