Summary: Is Jesus really the Son of God?
• SLIDE #1
• Who is Jesus?
• The 2004 release of the movie, “The Passion of The Christ” has stirred up a lot of controversy. The movie has also touched the lives of many people in a profound way.
• There have been over 100 known movies made about Jesus over the years, why did this one draw so much venomous criticism?
• I think it is because its’ focus was on the last 12 hours of Jesus life. The last twelve hours of the life of Jesus are by far the most violent of any period of His life.
• Those last 12 hours will make us ask some questions as to who Jesus was, was He indeed the Son of God as He claimed or was He just delusional teacher?
• In the movies over the years, the death of Jesus has been so sanitized by beautiful bloodless artistic renderings that The Passion of The Christ hits us square in the face with the reality of the suffering Jesus endured for us.
• In 1999, CBS-TV bought the rights to The Jesus Mini Series. However they censored the “passion” of Jesus. CBS cut out the nail scene. CBS cut the screams of Jesus. CBS cut out Jesus loving the children in the final scene.
• CBS said they wanted a “more traditional Jesus.” (www.hollywoodjesus.com/passion.htm)
• I believe The Passion of The Christ struck a nerve with people because if Jesus is who He claims to be and He suffered and died and rose again as we see in the Passion, then we are left with the dilemma of what to do now. This puts people on the spot.
• Today we are going to start of four-week series focusing in on Jesus.
• We will be seeking to answer 4 basic questions such as is He the only way to God, why did He die, and Is He alive? Today our focus will be “Jesus is the Son of God?”
• If we determine that Jesus is indeed the Son of God, then we are put in a dilemma. IF Jesus is the Son of God, then we either have to accept Him or reject Him.
• SLIDE #2
58And Peter was following him at a distance, as far as the courtyard of the high priest, and going inside he sat with the guards to see the end.
59Now the chief priests and the whole Council were seeking false testimony against Jesus that they might put him to death, 60but they found none, though many false witnesses came forward. At last two came forward 61and said, “This man said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to rebuild it in three days.’” 62And the high priest stood up and said, “Have you no answer to make? What is it that these men testify against you?” 63But Jesus remained silent. And the high priest said to him, “I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.” 64Jesus said to him, “You have said so. But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven.” 65Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has uttered blasphemy. What further witnesses do we need? You have now heard his blasphemy. 66What is your judgment?” They answered, “He deserves death.” 67Then they spit in his face and struck him. And some slapped him, 68saying, “Prophesy to us, you Christ! Who is it that struck you?”