Summary: Some people treat the bible like a Smorgasbord, a Insurance Policy, a Seat Belt, or a Love Letter
25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
You will never have the power to live a full and fruitful godly life until you choose God's Word as your final authority.
Some People Treat the Bible as Smorgasbord
- We pick and choose
- "That looks really good.
- Nah I don’t want that . . . I want this one."
We choose Bible passages based on what suits the taste:
- "I really like end of Rom 8 about how much God loves me,
- I really like 2 Cor. 12 on 'God's grace is sufficient,'
- I'll skip the parts about forgiveness, or repentance, or hell."
The Bible is not your authority as long as you're picking and choosing what you accept.
Some People Treat the Bible like a Insurance Policy
- The costs are plenty already.
- I probably won’t have any trouble
- A lot of people treat the Bible like that.
- In an emergency I need the Bible, I doubt I'll have a crisis today,
- Technically, you should get up and spend some time in God's Word,
- instead you grab a cup of coffee and rush out the door.
- I'll probably be OK today without it.
Some People Treat the Bible like a Seat Belt
- Of course you wear a seatbelt-but only because it's the law.
- That crazy bell won't quit ringing until you click it.
- Just disconnect the annoyance
- Yeah, I read the Bible because I’m supposed to
- I can't get the guilt to quit ringing in my ears if I don't.
-To silence the alarm, you spend a few minutes in it
Instead of an authority to guide your life, people minimize the Bible by treating it like:
A Smorgasbord - where you can pick or choose.
Insurance Policy - glad to have, but only in an emergency.
A seat belt - a nuisance that cramps your style.
7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. 8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. 9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Treat The Bible As A Love Letter
DEAR DR. GRAHAM: I know I ought to read my Bible, but every time I try to read it, I just end up getting confused. I never was a very good student, and all those strange names and places in the Old Testament get me lost. Is the Bible really that important? What am I doing wrong? -- Mrs. L.Y.
DEAR MRS. L.Y.: I notice you are married; did you ever get a letter from your husband-to-be and decide you wouldn't bother reading it because his handwriting was poor, or you were too busy or for some other reason? I doubt it.
- Christ is the center of the Bible
- Read a Bible you can understand
- Don’t skip around – Read it through
- Pray as you read (like answering the love letter)
- Ask the Lord to help you as you read
- Let His Word speak to you so that it changes your life
- Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so
You may not know me, but I know everything about you … Psalm 139:1
I know when you sit down and when you rise up … Psalm 139:2
I am familiar with all your ways… Psalm 139:3
Even the very hairs on your head are numbered… Matthew 10:29-31
For you were made in my image… Genesis 1:27
In me you live and move and have your being… Acts 17:28
For you are my offspring… Acts 17:28
I knew you even before you were conceived… Jeremiah 1:4-5
I chose you when I planned creation… Ephesians 1:11-12
You were not a mistake, for all your days are written in my book… Psalm 139:15-16
I determined the exact time of your birth and where you would live… Acts 17:26
You are fearfully and wonderfully made… Psalm 139:14
I knit you together in your mother’s womb… Psalm 139:13
And brought you forth on the day you were born… Psalm 71:6
I have been misrepresented by those who don’t know me… John 8:41-44
I am not distant and angry, but am the complete expression of love… 1 John 4:16