Summary: This sermon helps the congregations see the difference between being and inward focused church and an outward focused church
Introduction: Illustration “The Guiding Light”
I. What is a lighthouse?
A. A lighthouse provides light to anyone in need
B. A church that is a lighthouse understands that the source of light is Christ.
- Joh 1:4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
- Joh 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
- 1Jn_1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
C. A church that is a lighthouse understand that the light is not our light
- Rom 13:12 The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.
- Joh_12:46 I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.
D. A church that is a lighthouse understands that we are to reflect the light of Christ together.
- Mat_5:14 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
- Mat_5:15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.
- Mat_5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
II. What is a clubhouse? (I Corinthians 1:10-13)
A. A clubhouse is a tightknit group of people who only let a select few in
B. Paul appealed to them that there should be no division
C. Paul appealed to them that they should be of the same mind and judgment
D. Paul appealed to them that there was no division in Christ
E. Disunity interferes with the gospel and the glory of God
III. The Light of Christ is intended by Christ to reach everyone (Matthew 28:18-20)
A. The authority and therefore the light of the church is Christ’s light. (v.18)
B. The church should be reaching out to all nations (v.19)
- Martin Luther King “I think it is one of the tragedies of our nation, one of the shameful tragedies, is that 11:00 on Sunday morning is one of the most segregated hours if not the most segregated hours in Christian America. I definitely think that the Christian church should be integrated and any church that stands against integration that has a segregated body is standing against the spirit of teachings of Jesus Christ and it fails to be a true witness.”
- I am with you always, to the end of the age
- The church has a mandate that includes everyone
- The church has the power of the one who sent her
- The church must obey with endurance