Summary: The church has a mandate to be the light of Christ
- the Guiding Light illustration
- Today I want to speak of what a lighthouse is and how that applies to the church
I. The Light of Christ (v.18)
A. The light is Christ’s light
- Joh 1:4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
- Joh 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
- 1Jn_1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
- Rev 21:22 And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb.
- Rev 21:23 And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb.
- Rev 21:24 By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it,
B. The light is not our light
- Rom 13:12 The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.
- Joh_12:46 I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.
C. We are to reflect the light
- Mat_5:14 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
- Mat_5:15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.
- Mat_5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
II. The light of Christ is to be used to win the lost to Christ (v.19)
A. Go therefore or - because of this I tell you to go with my authority
- “Authority” means sovereignty, ability, and jurisdiction
B. Make disciples
- To create students, those who are learning and walking with Christ
C. Of all nations
- Missions is to be done locally, regionally, and internationally
D. Missions is to be done for and in the name of God
- In the name of the Father Son and Holy Ghost
III. The Light of Christ lasts eternally (v. 20)
A. A great Commission Church is committed to follow through
- Earlier I sad we are to make disciples or those who are being taught
- Now we must actually be discipling or teaching new converts and old the precepts of the Lord.
- John 17 Jesus prayed for all those who would be converted because of the Apostles testimony which is you and I
- Salvation is not about an event but about a lifestyle
- Mar_4:17 And they have no root in themselves, but endure for a while; then, when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately they fall away.
- Event led soul-winning leads to this lack of endurance
- Mat 24:13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved.
- The life that is saved is a life that is lit up by Christ
- Why would those who have the light of Christ turn again to darkness?
B. A Great Commission Church can be encouraged by the presence of the light in our mission.
- I am with you always, to the end of the age
- The church has a mandate that includes everyone
- The church has the power of the one who sent her
- The church must obey with endurance