Summary: The purpose of the message tonight is to show you 4 truths God gives about your marriage and how a proper response to these truths can keep your marriage out of the ICU.
TRAUMA IN THE ER: IS YOUR MARRIAGE ON LIFE SUPPORT?
I. I SOMETIMES LOOK AT THE T.V. SHOW TRAUMA IN THE ER
On one episode a man came into the ER in a coma with a life threatening situation
1. After running some tests they found out his was in diabetic shock-which can be a life threatening condition.
2. After they got him stabilized they informed him of his condition.
3. He was not aware that he was even diabetic.
4. Because he was not aware of his condition, he did not follow some simple rules to keep his sugar level normal, so as to protect his life.
B. I think there are some marriages in critical condition because they are not following some simple truths that will keep their marriages from falling apart!
C. The purpose of the message tonight is to show you 4 truths God gives about your marriage and how a proper response to these truths can keep your marriage out of the ICU.
II. MARRIAGE IS A RELATIONSHIP OF EQUALITY. GEN 1:27
God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them
A. Both male and female are created in God’s image.
*not one more than the other
*the man cannot say to his wife I am more in the image of God that you are
B. They are equal in essence– Gal 3:26-28
26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
*men and women are equally saved in Christ
*they are equally forgiven
*their prayers are equally heard
*it’s not your sex that matters in your prayers it your faith
*Paul is saying the blessing of salvation are extended equally to both
C. Peter says the same thing 1 Peter 3:7
You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman; and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered.
1. She is the fellow heir of the grace of life, eternal life
2. Fellow heir means co-heir,
3. Co-heirs inherit the same amount
4. All the blessing of salvation that flow to saved husband also flow to the saved wife
APP. HOW SHOULD YOU RESPOND?
(some men treat their wives like second class citizens)
*guys, we are to treat our wives with honor (highly prize and respect) esteem them
*see her as a person of great worth
* respect her views and opinions
*she is not inferior to you
*ladies, do not down on your husband spiritually
*God works on him just like He does on you
III. MARRIAGE IS A RELATIONSHIP WITH A DESIGN BY GOD. GEN. 2:18
Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him." A. The husband is to be the servant- leader. (Gen. 2:7)
Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
1. When God created man first, God set him as the leader.