Summary: Isaiah's Revelation
I. Isaiah's Revelation - He was a Man Who Saw God
(1) In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne,
1. The Glory of His Person (6:1) I saw also the Lord
2. The Glory of His Power (6:1) sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up,
3. The Glory of His Purpose (6:3) the whole earth is full of his glory.
A. He Saw The Holiness Of God's Person
1. He Saw God Enthroned 1 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord
Uzziah was the king who pridefully tried to usurp the place of the priests
A proper perception of God begins with the death of pride.
2. He Saw God Exalted sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up,
C.S. Lewis : How little people know who think that holiness is dull. When one meets [the] real thing, it is irresistible.
3. He Saw God Encompassed 6:1c, "...his train filled the temple..." reference to the Shekinah
I Cors 10:31 we read, "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."
B. He Saw The Holiness Of God Practiced
1. The Seraphs Reverenced God's Holiness By Their Attitude
6:2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet,
Exodus 3:5 And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground. (Moses)
2. The Seraphs Honoured God's Holiness By Their Activity with twain he did fly.
busy fulfilling the function for which they were created - praising God
C. He Saw The Holiness Of God Proclaimed
1. Notice What He Heard 6:3, "And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory."
2. Notice What Happened 6:4, "And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke."
when God was properly praised and worshiped, the house was shaken.
Ps.22: 3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
II. Isaiah's Realisation - Isaiah was a Man Who Sensed God (6:5)
1. There was the Searching of the Spirit (6:5) Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.
Lev.11: 44 For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy:
1 Peter 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
2. There was the Sanctifying of the Spirit (6:7) Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.
Cleansing came via a coal from the altar. This implies a sacrifice had been made.
John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
3. There was the Strengthening of the Spirit (6:6) Then flew one of the seraphims unto me,