Summary: This is an overview of Islam and how it differs from Christianity.
What is the Difference between Islam and Christianity?
First Christian Church 10-21-07
1. 9-1-1 is the number for emergencies.
a) Since September 11, 2001 America has been in a state of emergency.
b) Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard that Islamic radicals attacked the World Trade Towers and the Pentagon?
c) Americans have learned a new vocabulary that includes words like Islam, Muhammad, Allah, Jihad, Taliban and Al Qaeda.
d) More Americans were killed in the World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks on 9/11 than the Japanese killed at Pearl Harbor.
e) Osama Bin Laden gloating with his followers over the destruction said: “We were overjoyed when the first plane hit the building, so I said to them, ‘Be patient. More is coming.’”
f) Mohamed Atta, is the father of the Islamic ringleader of the 9/11 attacks.
• His son died when he flew his hijacked airplane into the World Trade Center.
• Instead of mourning the death of his son, Mohamed Atta said, “My son is a living hero in the eyes of the great prophet Muhammad. History will record that it was my son that lit the fire that started the destruction of the infidels, the Jews and the Christians.”
2. Chuck Colson commented: “The truth is that Bin Laden and his followers did not hijack Islam; they simply took it seriously.”
a) One US senator said, “For centuries we believed the two great oceans of the world secured our safety from our enemies but that is no longer the case. Our enemies now live in our own neighborhoods, waiting for the order to strike.”
b) Melanie Phillips writing in the Times of London describes Muslims as “an army within, waiting for an opportunity to destroy the society that sustains them.”
3. We hear frequently that Islam is a gentle, peace-loving religion that should be welcomed by all.
They say that terrorist’s acts represent only a tiny fringe of radical Islam.
Anyone who may believe otherwise is labeled as intolerant and hateful.
Many Americans don’t know what to believe because they don’t know anything at all about Islam.
4. “What is the difference between Christianity and Islam?”
a) If Christians and Muslims both worship one God, isn’t he the same God?
b) Aren’t both religions merely different paths that lead to the same destination?
5. There is a vast difference between Christianity and Islam.
a) Two religious systems cannot contradict each other yet both be true.
b) They are 100% different from each other!
c) Both paths lead to totally different destinations.
6. Not everything I’m going to say today is going to be pleasant.
a) My task is not to be politically correct but to share with you the truth.
b) Ephesians 4:15 says that we are to speak the truth in love.
c) I don’t claim to be an expert in the Muslim faith.
d) I am trying to become an expert in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
I. What Is Islam?
1. Before I outline the differences between Christianity and Islam I want to say:
a) Our faith teaches us to pray for and love those who would be our enemies.