Summary: We have a wonderful Lord!
ISN’T HE WONDERFUL
The Hebrew word translated in Isaiah 9:6 as "wonderful" denotes something indescribably great; that which is so tremendous and so amazing, that it’s literally beyond all description. It speaks of that which goes beyond human comprehension. This morning I want to tell you that Jesus is indeed “Wonderful” in every aspect.
I. HE IS WONDERFUL IN HIS PERSON
A. Just Who is Jesus Christ
B. He’s the Alpha and Omega – Revelation 22:13 "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."
1. As Alpha, He’s the Creator of all that is - John 1:1-3 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."
2. As Omega, Revelation 19:15-16 tells me that He is the one who will “smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron”… He will tread “the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.” And have “on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.”
C. He is Almighty God
1. Isaiah 9:6 “…the Mighty God”
2. John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
3. Colossians 1:15-17 "Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: for by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers. All things were created by Him and for him: and he is before all things, and by him all things consist."
D. He is God – Incarnate
1. John 1:14 "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."
2. Colossians 2:9 "For in him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily."
3. The land of Persia was once ruled by a wise and beloved Shah who cared greatly for his people and desired only what was best for them. One day he disguised himself as a poor man and went to visit the public baths. A furnace in the cellar heated the water for the baths, so the Shah made his way to the dark place to sit with the man who tended the fire. The two men shared the coarse food, and the Shah befriended him in his loneliness. Day after day the ruler went to visit the man. The worker became attached to this stranger because he "came where he was". One day the Shah revealed his true identity, and he expected the man to ask him for a gift. Instead, he looked long into his leader’s face and with love and wonder in his voice said, "You left your palace and your glory to sit with me in this dark place, to eat my coarse food, and to care about what happens to me. On others you may bestow rich gifts, but to me you have given yourself!" As we think of what our Lord has done for us, we can echo that fire tender’s sentiments. Oh, what a step our Lord took -- from heaven to earth, from the worship of angels to the mocking of cruel men, from glory to humiliation!
II. HE IS WONDERFUL IN HIS UNDERTAKINGS
A. Revelation 15:3 "And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvelous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints."
B. 1 Chronicles 16:9 "Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him, talk ye of all his wondrous works."
C. He is Wondrous in Power
1. Nature bows at His command
a. Mark 4:39-41 "And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? How is it that ye have no faith? And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?"
2. Disease and Death flee from His presence
a. Luke 8:43-47 "And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any, Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched. And Jesus said, ‘Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me? And Jesus said, ‘Somebody has touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me. And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately."