Summary: This is the 6th sermon in the series "The End". This sermon concerns the seven seal judments during the Tribulation.
Sunday Evening May 5, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: The End [#6]
IT ALL BEGINS
1. This tired earth has come under cruel times of famine, catastrophe, dictatorship, and many other types of suffering; but Revelation 6 introduces an awesome period of time in this world’s history.
2. These seven years is to get people’s attention and maybe “wake” some of them up to Who is in charge.
3. There are three sets of judgments during the Tribulation- seven seals, seven trumpets, and seven bowls.
4. The first set, the seven seals, are found in Revelation 6 and cover the first quarter of the Tribulation (which is the first 21 months).
Seal #1: The Rider On The White Horse
The first four seals reveal horses and riders. The four horsemen present the picture of man’s inhumanity to man.
1. There has been question concerning the rider of this first horse.
2. Daniel is telling us that the future world dictator would begin his career as a peacemaker! He will go from victory to victory and finally control the whole world.
3. Some have suggested that the rider on the white horse is actually a symbol of the “conquering Christ” who today is defeating the forces of evil in the world. They use Revelation 19:11 as proof, but the only similarity is the presence of a white horse.
4. I believe that this rider is the Antichrist. We should expect the Antichrist to resemble Christ. This is Satan’s imitation of the real thing. This great deceiver will come as a peaceful leader, holding a bow but no arrows! (By the way, our Lord’s weapon is a sword; Revelation 19:15). The Antichrist will solve the world’s problems and be received as a great leader.
5. Another proof that this is the Antichrist and not Jesus Christ is in verse 2. The word for crown in Revelation 6:2 means “the victor’s crown.” The crown that Jesus Christ wears is translated as “the kingly crown” (Revelation 19:12). The Antichrist could never wear “the kingly crown” because it belongs only to Jesus Christ.
6. As we have discussed several times, the Antichrist will “trick” everyone into believing he is the savior of the world. He will get their trust as he lures them in.
Seal #2: The Rider On The Red Horse
1. The red horse and the rider are a symbol of war. Notice the rider has the ability to “take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other.”
2. Also notice that this time there is not a weapon without ammunition, there is a sword.
3. As we studied last week, when the Antichrist begins his rule, three of the ten kings will “go up against” him.
4. I believe that when the Antichrist eliminates those three kings that it will begin a war.
5. Those countries will begin to war against the others and there will be a very bloody war.
6. The color red is generally associated with terror and death.
Seal #3: The Rider On The Black Horse
1. The color black is often used in Scripture to symbolize famine.
2. Many times after a war there are economic problems, which result in famine. Inflation usually takes hold after a war.
3. The balances in the hand of the rider on the black horse indicate the scarcity of food.
4. The amount of food that will be able to be purchased for a whole day’s labor is enough to properly feed one person. What about people’s family.
5. Now for the rich, it won’t be so bad. Notice that the rider is instructed to not damage the oil and wine, which are traditional foods of the rich.
6. As in most wars, the common people will suffer greatly.
Seal #4: The Rider On The Pale Horse
1. The pale horse is corpse-like, signifying death.
2. The death rate of the first 21 months of the Tribulation period will be tremendously high as a result of war, famine, and inflation.
3. In fact, ¼ of the world’s population will die.
4. The fact that Hades follows the pale horse of death indicates that these are unsaved dead.
5. A believer who receives Christ during the Tribulation will not go to Hades, which is a place reserved for unbelievers as they await the Great White Throne Judgment.
6. Christians don’t forget the fact of Who is opening the seals. It’s the Lamb, which should cause us to realize that God is in control.
Seal #5: The Martyred Tribulation Saints
1. In chapter 7 we will learn that there will be a great harvest of souls at the beginning of the Tribulation.
2. This will cause a time of great persecution against Christians.