Summary: We get caught up with our wants and comorts, etc. within our churches and forget that it is all about God.
1. Several years ago I worked for a very large church in another state.
a. There are good things about large churches
b. There are bad things about large churches
c. I asked my secretary to make a banner for me that I hung over the door inside my office: “It’s not about you!”
2. Sometimes we need to be reminded of what “church” is and is not about.
a. It’s not about
• A Mere Social Experience
• A Hobby, until something better comes along
• A Place of Busy Work to occupy our time
• A place for my comforts
• A place to exert my power; in fact, God honors the opposite – Isaiah 66.2b
But this is the one to whom I will look:
he who is humble and contrite in spirit
and trembles at my word.
b. It IS about God; His kingdom; His glory in which he has invited us to share with him
3. 1 Chronicles 28-29 (selected scriptures) – David is near the end of his life; assembled the leadership of Israel to give final instructions regarding Solomon and the building of the temple
4. He modeled leadership and a reason for his giving – It’s all about God
• God’s Plans – 1 Chronicles 28.2-6
2 Then King David rose to his feet and said: “Hear me, my brothers and my people. I had it in my heart to build a house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the LORD and for the footstool of our God, and I made preparations for building. 3 But God said to me, ‘You may not build a house for my name, for you are a man of war and have shed blood.’ 4 Yet the LORD God of Israel chose me from all my father's house to be king over Israel forever. For he chose Judah as leader, and in the house of Judah my father's house, and among my father's sons he took pleasure in me to make me king over all Israel. 5 And of all my sons (for the LORD has given me many sons) he has chosen Solomon my son to sit on the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel. 6 He said to me, ‘It is Solomon your son who shall build my house and my courts, for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.
1. David Wanted to Build the Temple – God had Other Plans – Solomon (Shlomo) would build
2. You and I make plans – God always has a better way – Jeremiah 29.11
11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
• God’s Perceptions – 1 Chronicles 28.9-10
9 “And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever. 10 Be careful now, for the LORD has chosen you to build a house for the sanctuary; be strong and do it.”
1. Solomon was to KNOW God with Heart and Mind
2. Knowing God = having a right perception of Him
3. How do we compare to what David told Solomon? Are we 100% with God?
4. I have heard many excuses for avoiding our responsibilities toward God – it’s almost like we would rather do anything other than be in the presence of God
[A man and his buddy went fishing one Sunday. His friend was surprised he would fish on Sunday instead of going to church. The man replied, “I can’t go to church today, my wife is sick.”
5. Remember, God perceives our hearts and plans; right ones bring the promise of finding Him
6. God perceives those he can choose for His purposes
• God’s Provisions – 1 Chronicles 29.1-9 (mark and read, especially verse 9)
9 Then the people rejoiced because they had given willingly, for with a whole heart they had offered freely to the LORD. David the king also rejoiced greatly.
1. David modeled leadership (verses 1-5)
2. The leaders’ response (verses 6-9)
3. Motivation for freewill giving in David’s prayer (verses 14-16)
14 “But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able thus to offer willingly? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you. 15 For we are strangers before you and sojourners, as all our fathers were. Our days on the earth are like a shadow, and there is no abiding. 16 O LORD our God, all this abundance that we have provided for building you a house for your holy name comes from your hand and is all your own.