Summary: 1. The Wonder of It All 2. Wonder Of God’s Coming 3. Wonder of Jesus 4. Wonder of The Message 5. Wonder of Assurance
- George is rescued by the people of Bedford Falls
- Brother calls him the richest man in town
- Note - George is filled with Wonder
1. The Wonder of It All
- Jesus life is bracketed by two impossibilities
A virgin's womb and an empty tomb.
- Jesus entered our world through a door marked "No Entrance" - - Jesus left through a door marked "No Exit."
- Christmas is filled with one dominant emotion: - WONDER
Luke 2:18 (AV)
18 And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.
- Wonder involves mystery
2. Wonder Of God’s Coming
Christ comes to the marginalized, the hurting, the discouraged, the outcasts, and the heavy hearted.
Choosing to come as man/baby
Message to the obscure Mary/Joseph - forgotten linage/village
To nobody of importance
- Not to the political/religious – Shepherds
Gives each of us significance
3. Wonder of Jesus
Luke 2:10 (AV)
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
Great Joy Gk. – Megas – “Maga Joy” – Beyond imagination
Boundless, overflowing, never ending
Luke 2:11 (AV)
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
- “FOR” Because – Savior, Christ Lord
SAVIOR – Unrealized need
– World in bondage
- Sitting in darkness
- Death penalty hanging over us
- No escape
- To call Jesus “Savior” is to acknowledge Him as God
- To admit guilt and need for forgiveness.
- A solution for sin
CHRIST – Purposeful Remedy
- His title
– Heb- “Messiah” Gk. “Christos” - Anointed One
- Anointing was to consecrate for a purpose or service
- His purpose was to die so that we might be saved
LORD – Capable Sovereign
- Lord used in the OT was reserved to God alone
- Jesus is not just from God – He is God Himself
- Jesus is supreme master of the universe
- He demands our total submission & full allegiance
- I must bow before Him
4. Wonder of The Message
Worlds message "Money, Sex, Power & Pleasure = joy and peace.
- Fear of lost robs our joy
- v. 10 “Fear Not” – Fear grips our lives
Luke 2:13–14 (AV)
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
- Heavenly Host – or an army celebrating peace
- Praising God
- GLORY - Abundance, wealth, treasure, splendor thus honor
Note:- Peace comes only after praise
- Peace is a state of wholeness & harmony with ourselves & others
- To join together
- News of God’s grace – Gift of Peace
Peace is multidimensional
• Peace with God – that’s the vertical dimension
• Peace of God – this takes place internally
• Peace with others – that’s peace horizontally
Hebrews 13:6 (AV)
6 …., The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
Psalm 118:6 (AV)
6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?