Summary: I. Life Full Of Distress Today II. How Does Jesus Add Value To My Life? III. Experiencing His Truth Is Needed - (Mk 4:35-41) IV Peace Discovered
- Clips from “ It’s a Wonderful Life” - Characters lives needing change
• Harry is about to drown
• Mr. Gower is in deep grief
• Mary & George’s Honeymoon is in shambles
• George is about to take his life
- Life was not wonderful for Israel when hauled into captivity
Lamentations 3:16–20 (NLT)
16 He has made me grind my teeth on gravel. He has rolled me in the dust.
17 Peace has been stripped away, and I have forgotten what prosperity is.
18 I cry out, “My splendor is gone! Everything I had hoped for from the LORD is lost!”
19 The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words.
20 I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss.
- Clips from “ It’s a Wonderful Life” - Characters lives changed
• Harry is rescued from drowning
• Mr. Gower is restored to hope
• Mary brings order out of the chaos
• Bedford Falls restores George’s lost
I. Life Full Of Distress Today
• Through Physical pain
• In Difficult decisions
• Trouble with finances
• Death of a loved one,
• Shattered dreams
• We become fearful and perplexed
• Plagued by doubts, we may even find it difficult to pray
Distress Found In Celebration
Luke 2:9–10 (AV)
9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
Matthew 2:2–3 (AV)
2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
II. How Does Jesus Add Value To My Life?
Look hat has happened in Duck Dynasty with Phil Robertson
- Speaking out on what the bible say he is on indefinite suspension from A&E
- It seemed not a wonderful life to Phil
- Two days after Christmas A&E changes their mind
- Jesus gives life—Only Jesus can provide real life in the present
- And future eternal life in heaven!
John 10:10 (New Living Translation).
“My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life” ,
Jer. 29:11, The Message
“I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.”
- The best part - It gets better in eternity!
- What is this new life that Jesus gives?
III. Experiencing His Truth Is Needed - Mk 4:35-41
1. Distress Is Allowed
a. To go over to the other side originated with Jesus
b. Even though a approaching Storm
c. How could he lead them into a storm, He knew
2. God Never Promised To Keep Us Out Of Trouble
a.He promised to BE WITH US in trouble!
b. Shad, Me Aben. in the furnace -- God was there
c. Jesus didn't avoid the cross, He triumphed OVER it
d. Not to keep us from trials but to be in trials
3. Our Response Is To Control Our Attitude
• We shouldn’t equate peace with the absence of trouble
• We can chose not to let our circumstances determine our peace, or even our understanding of our circumstances; but we can chose to trust the one who holds our circumstances
• We can chose peace
- Take the seaman’s advice - “In fierce storms, we must put the ship in a certain position and keep her there.”
- You must put your soul in one position and keep it there.
- You must stay upon the Lord
- Come what may—winds, waves, cross seas, thunder, lightning, roaring breakers
- No matter what, you must hold fast your confidence in God’s faithfulness and His everlasting love in Christ Jesus.”
4. Change The Focus to Jesus
- Life is not a mistake!
- Depend on His Word - Don’t Not Depend on Feelings
IV. Peace Discovered
Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6 (AV)
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
As sinners we are enemies with God
x Colossians 1:21 (AV)
21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
Coming by faith in repentance to Christ we are
x Romans 5:1 (AV)
1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: