Summary: In essence, God is here commanding us to do something that is impossible within ourselves.
Pastor Allan Kircher
12 May 2013
Be followers of god
As we look into the 5th chap/great book/Ephesians we are immediately confronted by a passage that demands we do the impossible.
• We are called to be like God.
• Called to love like He loves.
• Called to have passion like He has.
• It sounds like an impossible task!
How can we, sinful, human, frail, failing people ever be like Him or love like Him?
• Spend our time 1st two verses today.
• Drawing my title from verse 1
• The NIV “imitators” of God” KJV “followers of God.”
• I like the KJV, “followers”
• When we follow……we will imitate!
• Let’s look at the challenges presented to us.
I. V. 1 THERE IS A PERSON TO IMITATE
Word “therefore” again calls attention backward chap 4….
• Reminded/saints of God have been saved/grace of God.
• Because their saved/they are to be different in….
• Way they walk/way they talk/way they think.
• They are to be different in every area of life.
v. 22…”old man” former way of life is gone. “put off”
v. 24…put on the “new man” created to be like God.
And 1 John 2:6, “whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.”
God has challenged us to bring:
• Tongues, anger,work ethic,bitterness and revenge seeking.
• Bring it under control of God
• Challenging us/be forgiving, kind/compassion toward one another
Eph. 5:1 poses the greatest challenge of all. Let’s examine this challenge.
A. There Is A Command - “Be followers of God.”
The word “followers” means to “mimic” to be an “imitator.”
• Command here/people of God to imitate God.
• We are to learn all we can about God
• We are to mimic His characteristics.
• I look at this command, and I see real problems.
• We can never imitate God in all ways.
We can never truly imitate God in His essential essence.
• God is perfect; we are flawed.
• God is omnipotent; we are weak.
• God is omniscient; we are fools.
• God is omnipresent; we are
• God is wholly good; we are wholly evil.
• God is Spirit; we are flesh.
• God is eternal; we are temporal.
• God is heavenly; we are earthly.
• God is infinitely holy; we are completely wicked.
We are to learn all we can about the Lord from His Word
• Then put into practice everything we know about Him.
• To do the things we see Him doing
• Avoid the things He avoids
• We are to be like God in every respect.
In essence, God is here commanding us to do something that is impossible within ourselves.
• If it is left up to ourselves? Never could we be imitators
• God imparts His nature to reveal itself
• It is up to us to enable that nature