Summary: There is pressure within us as the flesh reaches out for the things that are now forbidden to it.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
June 2nd 2013
“It’s about time! WALK AS CHILDREN OF THE LIGHT”
Intro: Eph. chap 5 is all about change.
• Designed/teach us we are different/world around us.
• Now that we are different/should live lives that/different.
The simple truth:
• Believers should be different from those/don’t know Lord.
A brief review/1st seven verses/chapter clearly demonstrate/truth.
• v. 1, commanded to live like God
• v. 2, commanded to love like God.
• V.3-7, commanded to leave this world and its ways behind.
• v. 8 Apostle tells us why we are to be different.
• This is something we need to hear and heed.
• After all, we are living in this world.
We are “strangers and pilgrims” here, 1 Pet. 2:11.
• While we are “strangers and pilgrims,” in this world
• There was a time when we were citizens of this world.
• We lived like they live. We thought like they think.
• We did what they do. We were part of them.
But, when we were saved/grace/God, we were delivered from our old life of sin, given a new life of righteousness.
Even though delivered/world, we still possess deep familiarity with the world and its ways.
There is still a part of us, the fleshly part, that still desires the things of the world we left behind when we were saved.
• Always pressure/saints/God/more like/world around them.
• The overt pressure/entertainment/other forms of media for us to do what the world does
• Subtle pressure even from people we love who would like to see us behave a little more like them.
• To see us do the things they do.
• I think these folk do what they do because our lifestyle makes them feel guilty about the way they are living.
There is pressure within us as the flesh reaches out for the things that are now forbidden to it.
• We might be saved, but there is still a part of us that loves sin and that hates the rigors of holiness.
• While there is pressure to go back
• There is also pressure to go forward.
Just as surely as the flesh and the world longs for us to conform to its ways, the Spirit of God and the resurrected spirit within us want us to be transformed so that we might be what God saved us to be, Gal. 5:16-17.
That’s why in Rom.12:1–2, God tells us this….
The last verse we studied, v.7, said, “Do not be partners with them.”
• Verses today teach us how to make that/reality in our lives.
I want take these verses/point out some insights that speak to us about Walking As Children Of Light.
This text teaches us how to become the righteous person God saved us to be.
• We live in a hard, dark world/dominated/driven by sin.
• In the midst of that darkness and depravity
• God has redeemed a people.
He has redeemed a people:
• That He expects to be different.
• He has empowered to be different.
• He has called into service for Him.